Autocar - June 2002

What the Press say about the Cappuccino

Moderator: Steering Group

Autocar - June 2002

Postby Alex Clouter » Tue Jun 25, 2002 17:51

June 25 2002 issue

Why I love the Cappuccino - by Tim Pollard

Don't laugh - this tiny much scoffed at roadster delivers serious turbocharged fun.

Concluding line:

I love the Cappuccino for its sprightly performance and sharp handling; the practicality of 58mpg and a roof for all seasons; but most of all, its clever interpretation of big car sports car rules in a tiny half pint package. The Cappuccino is a real less-is-more surprise and it's both reliable and affordable torun. Small. Fun. Stylish. Quick. Different. Fancy a cuppa?

Reproduced by kind permission of Autocar Magazine
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Alex Clouter » Mon Jul 01, 2002 19:38

For those who missed the magazine here is Tim's report in full:

Why I love the... Suzuki Cappuccino

Don't laugh - this tiny, much-scoffed-at roadster delivers serious turbocharged fun

"Frothy. Creamy. Sweet. Let's get all the ribbing out of the way immediately because the comically named Cappuccino is in fact a pukka little sports car. Don't believe me? How does a flyweight 679kg turbocharged rear drive roadster for Suzui money grab you? Exactly.

"The Cappa served up a surprise at its UK launch in October 1993. Here was a genuinely thrilling sports car from a company better known for its cheap 'n' cheerful Vitara 4x4 and Swift supermini. Nothing in Suzuki's range before or since the diminutive Cappuccino's demise in 95 has come close.

"It was conceived under Japan's Kei-Jidosha laws, which yield generous tax breaks and parking concessions to cars less than 3300mm long and whose engine capacity does not exceed 660cc. Forget other K-class dullards - I'm talking tallboy Daihatsu Move and co - the Cappa turned sensible into fun.

"The thing drips with grin-inducing fizz. It's tiny - at 3295mm long and 1395mm wide, marginally longer but narrower than a Smart - and bristles with cheeky Italianate styling. Clever, too: this coupe-cabriolet arrived a decade before the Peugeot 206CC and the Cappuccino's removable hard top flips the car between coupe, targa or full convertible.

"But most of all the mechanical spec proves this is no lightweight pretender. A modest 657cc three-pot may nestle under the bonnet but a 12-valve head, twin overhead cams and intercooled turbocharger lift specific power to an impressive 96bhp per litre. Max power is 63bhp, top torque 63lb ft.

"To meet those stiff K-class regulations, Cappuccinos are limited to 83mph but 110mph is possible if they're derestricted. Autocar's road test showed 0-60mph in a leisurely 11.3sec, but such a modest figure belies sprightly real-world speed. Low gearing - 16mph per 1000rpm in 5th - keeps the engine on boost, letting the driver enjoy the three-pot's turbo rush, dizzy 9300rpm red line and warm-hatch pace.

"Best of all the Cappa is a hoot to drive. Forget Suzuki's standard efforts; this one follows the classic sports car recipe: double wishbones and rear wheel drive. The steering is direct and weighty, while that low kerbweight makes for darty, nimble handling and you can really throw it around. Catch the turbo on boost in second gear corners and you can even get the back-end out.

"Downsides? Everyone derides its cartoon-like name and the ignorant slate the Suzuki pedigree. It was pricey at launch (nearly 12 grand) but you can now pick up a 94L from £3675.Given those shrunken dimensions it's a snug two seater although a 6ft 2in hack like me can comfortably drive the car. More serious is the miniscule boot; you'll need a fun-sized toothbrush for weekends away and what little room there is diappears when the removable roof panels are stowed.

"The Cappuccino is a real less-is-more surprise and it's both relaible and affordable to run. Small. Fun. Stylish. Quick. Different. Fancy a cuppa?"

Reproduced in full by kind permission of Tim Pollard
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to Cappuccinos in the Press