Low-price "Speed Limiter Defeat" Module

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Would you be interested in participating in a "Speed Limiter Defeat" unit order?

Willing to pay up to £40
45%
Willing to pay up to £30
14%
Willing to pay up to £20
14%
Not interested
27%

Total votes : 22

Low-price "Speed Limiter Defeat" Module

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Feb 04, 2002 23:44

I have discovered a small engineering firm which does some very high standard work. They would be willing to turn out some "speed limiter defeat" modules at a price considerably lower than the £100 I have been quoted. The price, obviously, would depend on the numbers.

It would comprise a die-cast box, with a socket into which would go a 12V. supply, the wire carrying the pulses from the sensor, the wire carrying the reduced number of pulses to the ECU, and (optionally) to a switch to enable/disable the action.

So, would you like to vote, to give an idea of likely interest :?:

(Obviously no commitment, as polls are anonymous :) )
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Why so complex?

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Tue Feb 05, 2002 09:10

Are we talking about removing the speedlimiter? If so, delimiting the Cappuccino can be done much easier. Just make a switch in the cable to the limitersensor. This costs only a few euro. Every Suzuki garage can doe that.
Marcel
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Feb 05, 2002 20:18

Marcel,
What you say is quite correct, but it is not a very satisfactory solution. As I understand it, when the switch is opened, the "Check Engine" lamp will light, which would be annoying, and would, of course, mask any real problem which might arise during the high speed cruise :(
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Tue Feb 05, 2002 21:50

Hi Ian,

Am I correct in thinking that if we got the 'pulse divider' circuit right and 'tapped' in at the correct place in the cars circuits then we would be able to read the mph on the kmh scale on the speedometer instead?

Or am I talking a load of rubbish!?!

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Km to Miles

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Feb 05, 2002 22:42

Hi Shaun,

Yes, we can :D . If we get the circuit to discard 3 out of 8 pulses, it will convert kph to mph on the speedo. You will have a speedo capable of displaying well beyond the car's top speed. For Japan model cars, it will increment in miles on the "distance counter". For this application, the pulse carrying wire has to be intercepted before it branches off to the speedo, so both the speedo and the ECU get the reduced pulse rate. As far as the ECU is concerned, the speed limit will be 140mph, instead of 140 kph.

For UK cars, if we don't want to affect the speedo, we intercept the wire after it branches off to the speedo (actually where it enters the ECU). Alternatively, we can re-scale the speedo (i.e. disregard the mph scale and use the kph scale for mph as you said) by connecting according to the first method, but the distance counter will then increment 5 for every 8 miles travelled. The optional switch could allow you to change scale only when necessary (but at risk of possible confusion :wink: ).
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Speed delimiting

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Wed Feb 06, 2002 08:50

Ian,
The traditional way of speed delimiting will give you a warning on the dashboard. But only when the speed drops below the 90mph. Touching the switch will reset this and the lights will dissapear. Not elegant but it hardly happens to me. I hardly drive faster than 90mph with the Cappo. Most Cappo owners want the delimiter for security acceleration on the motorway and not for unlimited max speed. Exceeding the max speed causes damage to the engine so an extra warning signal to remember you will not harm. That is the reason I am not interested in the electronic solution. It is not the price.
Marcel
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Feb 06, 2002 21:40

Marcel,

If that's what suits you, fair enough :) . But I don't think you're right about damaging the engine. The rev limiter is not disabled by either method, and will prevent the engine suffering.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet the car can't reach maximum permitted revs in 5th. Engine wear could be increased a little at higher revs, but the running time will be reduced, so.... :D

Image Ian
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Rev limiter?

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:39

Ian, Probably you are right. The speedlimiter has primarly a tax-reason. But personally I think it is not wise to drive much faster than 90 mph. (saves speedtickets!!).

Testing the max speed, I drove the Cappo on the motorway followed by my Audi. We clocked 190 kph (118 mph). The speedneedle reached the opposite 0 position. (My car has been chipped by the previous owner). The handling of the Cappo was still ok but the engine reached the border of the redline. Has the Cappo a Rev limiter? Don't want to try how long this will last.

To protect my little Cappo against my driving style I prefer to drive with speedlimiter :twisted:

Marcel
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Feb 07, 2002 21:25

Marcel,

Wow ! 118 mph :o . Did you do the traditional run in the opposite direction to even out any wind effect :?: Do you have increased boost with your chipping modification :?:

Yes, there is a rev limit at 9,300, or 8,800 for more than 3 sec. It cuts off fuel injection. Page 6E-23 of the manual.

I think you are right about speeding tickets, but it can be useful to go up to, say, 95 for a brief burst to get away from a solid block of traffic. But I hear that they are thinking of cameras distributed along motorways which identify cars and measure the average speed over several miles. :(

Image Ian
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Speed (tickets)

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Thu Feb 07, 2002 23:57

Ian, I am not telling big stories about the performance. I have no idea what the previous owner exactly did with my car. The history is a mystery. I bought the car in motorbike shop and had no contact with the owner. All I Know is that I experienced a lot of trouble (fueltank, gear, clutch, shockabsorption). Don't know if this is caused by the 'modifications'. I can tell you that I paid 5.000 EURO in total to keep my Cappo running! Don't want any more costs!!

Latest wapon in Holland against fast drivers, laserguns!! But there is protection against it called a lasershield. From my own experience I can tell you it works perfectly. For more information go to
[url] www.radarshop.nl[/url]
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Return to General