Cambelt and tensioner

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Cambelt and tensioner

Postby Murray Betts » Tue Feb 21, 2023 17:22

Since my car is now over 27yrs old and has only had one cambelt change (mileage is still low so not a great risk .... ) I started looking for replacement belt and tensioner at the end of last year.
As far as I can make out, the belt is effectively unique to the Cappuccino, no other application seems to be listed for the particular size. The tensioner is used on other engines, particularly the Suzuki Wagon R and Chevrolet/Daewoo Matiz and Kalos.

In the UK the tensioners are readily available from various sources, with a variety of brands. I went direct to the online SKF shop https://vehicleaftermarket.skf.com/uk/en , you can find cheaper alternatives if you search but I felt happy going to the manufacturer (actually purchased from the SKF ebay shop, but same source). I trust SKF quality, I regularly use their bearings in motorcycles etc.
SKF part number VKM 76102

Belts are a different case. I know Gates from time in industry and similarly trust their quality, providing it is indeed a genuine Gates product. There are plenty of fake items around, just like fake NGK etc. Gates give a guide of how to check the item. The Gates belt is part number Powergrip 5642XS.
While there are quite a few places which advertise them, it turned out that no-one actually had any stock. One place was very helpful and checked likely delivery, quoting sometime in Q1 of 2023. I started checking and found that the various "stockists" did indeed show availability, but interestingly every single one showed 2 available. My guess is that they all use the same wholesaler and all refer to that stock. I purchased one from a reliable source and it does appear to be genuine. The ebay suppliers seem to show various stocks now so maybe a few more have filtered through the supply chain. The belt I have says "made in UK" on it.

The alternative belt which was available was sold as "Quinton Hazell", which used to be a well known UK parts brand, but as I understand it that brand name was bought up by an intermediate supplier and the items can be made by pretty much anyone anywhere in the world, so there is no guarantee of quality.

As the weather warms up here in the UK I'll soon get out to the garage and fit the items, hopefully all will be well.
Last edited by Murray Betts on Tue Feb 21, 2023 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Cambelt and tensioner

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Feb 21, 2023 23:31

Be prepared for a struggle removing the "fan belt" pulley. |If I remember correctly, it took two to hold the pulley, and one strong leg from a 3rd member to deliver an almightly kick to the tommy bar to loosen the nut.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Tue Feb 21, 2023 23:41

I remember doing it last time and arranging an improvised strap wrench using a long steel bar and some rope round the pulley.
Fortunately I have a shallow pit in my garage, about 1m deep, which is fine for doing occasional work under the car, if a little cramped, and miles better than trying to do it with ramps/stands etc. It means relatively easy access to the pulley area.
Now I have a nice compact cordless impact wrench which hopefully I can get in there and which should making undoing it straightforward, it manages most stuff. Of course tightening is by torque wrench, never by impact wrench.
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:19

Sounds like the bees knees :D
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Tue Apr 11, 2023 17:04

Well, the job is done but my impact wrench would not fit, there's just not enough space, so it was back to the old strap wrench system round the pulley. It actually came undone quite easily, I must have torqued it correctly last time!!

While under the car I also changed the rear axle/Diff and gearbox oil. I used Castrol Transmax Axle 75W90 for the rear axle/Diff, and Castrol Transmax Manual Transmission Fluid 75W90 as recommended on the Castrol website.
I've only done one run out with it but the second gear synchro seems to be working very nicely (always notchy even from new), so I'd recommend that oil for the gearbox for anyone interested.
The one thing I found (and vaguely remembered from doing it last time many years ago) is that you really need a 22mm RING spanner for the filler plug on the axle. There's not enough space to get a socket in there and the fins on the diff casing mean that typical 22mm open ended spanners won't go in to engage on the shallow head of the plug, the O/E spanner is too wide to fit in the recess. I managed to adapt an old box spanner to fit by cutting it down and drilling new tommy bar holes, but if doing it again I'd treat myself to a ring spanner first.
Also I did invest in an oil syringe, Sealey AK54 from https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Sealey-Ak ... inge-550Ml , which is reassuringly substantial with metal end fittings threaded onto the clear plastic body, good value at the price. It makes refilling the axle and gearbox easy.
I did note that officially the gearbox needs 1.06L of oil, but I had a small amount of some previous Castrol Trans oil which I added to the litre to make up the difference. Annoying amount for a gearbox!!
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to General