Fuel pump not available

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Fuel pump not available

Postby Chris da Silva » Thu Jan 12, 2023 02:57

The fuel pump of my EA21R suddenly packed up a fortnight ago when I was travelling along the motorway - so much so that I had to put the gearbox into neutral and coast onto the hard shoulder! 8O

To cut a long story short, the car has now been safely brought back to my lock-up and is languishing forlornly in there. :( And what I found was the cause of the engine suddenly cutting out was that the fuel pump just stopped working altogether; so, I tried to locate a replacement one. But to my sheer frustration and disappointment, the fuel pump - Part #15100-80F50 - is no longer available from Suzuki! I'm guessing that the knackered one in the car was the original one from when the car rolled off the production line at the factory, so it probably was on its last legs and decided to give up the ghost!

Does anyone know whether there is a direct replacement still being made by a different/third party manufacturer (e.g. Nippon Denso) available? And if so, would you know its part number?

Thanks, if anyone can help!
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Fuel pump not available

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Jan 12, 2023 22:45

Seems to be available from Impex Japan for US$ 317.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Jan 12, 2023 22:46

Seems to be available from Impex Japan for US$ 317.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Fri Jan 13, 2023 00:32

Hi Ian.

Wow - that's expensive! 8O But I guess I don't have a choice now but to buy one; otherwise my Cappo will be languishing in my garage for goodness knows how long!

Thanks for your assistance - much appreciated! :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Feb 11, 2023 06:15

Looking through the parts books, I noticed that there are two fuel pumps for the Cappuccino - one for the EA11R (Part # 15100-80F00) and a different one for the EA21R (Part # 15100-80F50). But both of these are now no longer available from Suzuki!

Then cross-referencing that with the Nippon Denso [3rd party] parts catalogue, I noted that it only lists the one for the EA11R but not the EA21R!

This has got me thinking whether it's the same pump which fits both Cappo variants. (In other words', is it interchangeable?)

And it costs a lot less than the one which is available from Impex Japan....

Any comments will be much appreciated. :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:28

The fuel tanks are the same, the gasket and securing screws are the same, both pumps have a 2 wire harness, so the chances are the difference is only a minor improvement. This is also suggested by the two part nos being different only in 80F00 (original) and 80F50 (a small change).

I would chance it.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:21

Thanks Ian.

That info is very useful. I'll look into it. Cheers! :)

My Cappo has been languishing forlornly in my garage and gathering dust for about a month now; and I think it's time to wake it up from its slumber for a return to the open road. :D

I'll list Denso's part number in my next email for our members should they come up with a similar problem as me.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris Wessing » Mon Dec 04, 2023 03:21

Hey guys,

I was able to finally visit my Cappuccino (1992/EA11R) in Japan after 5 year (due to COVID restrictions), and found a rusty fuel tank/pump assembly. I'm going to replace the fuel tank, and I was able to source a used fuel pump assembly, but my mechanic in Japan is recommending a new pump since the used one I bought is a bit noisy. Does anyone have a link or part number for the Denso pump + filter?

Here's what I was able to source for a used fuel pump assembly while in Japan:
https://www.croooober.com/en/item/cpart ... no-Ea11%5D

Or should I just order a new full assembly from Impex for $300?
https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/searc ... 5100-80F00

Thanks!
Chris
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Dec 05, 2023 18:38

I'd go for a new pump. You only live once, and you can't take it with you :D
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Dec 05, 2023 18:40

Chris da Silva wrote:Thanks Ian.

That info is very useful. I'll look into it. Cheers! :)

My Cappo has been languishing forlornly in my garage and gathering dust for about a month now; and I think it's time to wake it up from its slumber for a return to the open road. :D

I'll list Denso's part number in my next email for our members should they come up with a similar problem as me.

Hi Chris,

Any progress :?:
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris Wessing » Tue Dec 05, 2023 19:31

Yeah, I'm leaning towards just ordering a brand new assembly for $300.

Can anyone confirm that this part number is the same assembly as the used part I bought? Some websites just show the pump associated with this number (15100-80F00):
https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/searc ... 5100-80F00
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Dec 05, 2023 23:41

Hi Chris

Let me check out where I got my replacement part first before you proceed. I'll always try to help a fellow owner whenever I can. :D
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Dec 06, 2023 08:05

Hi Chris (from the other Chris)

I found one on eBay. It's a pattern part because I don't think the original supplier (Denso) makes them anymore!

It's advertised as "PAT Electronic Fuel Pump EFP-007 fits Suzuki Cappuccino 0.7 (EA11), 0.7 (EA21)", and it's priced at AU $119.95 from an Australian retailer called "sparesbox_auto".

What's supplied looks like what I bought when I replaced the fuel pump on my Cappo.

Hope this helps.

Chris :)

PS: I found another [less expensive] two which are also pattern parts on eBay. One in the UK (advertised as "Hi Fuel Pump For Suzuki Cappuccino 660 Turbo ITP373" and priced at GBP 57.08 from a seller called "templetuning"; and another one in Australia (advertised as "Goss in-tank fuel pump for Suzuki Cappuccino SX306 (EA11R) Petrol 4-Cyl 0.7 F6A (Fits: Suzuki Cappuccino)") and priced as AU $80.18 from an Australian retailer called "enginepartsaustralia".
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris Wessing » Wed Dec 06, 2023 18:43

Thanks Chris, looks like I have quite a few options!
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris Wessing » Sun Dec 10, 2023 23:33

I ended up trying to buy a new fuel pump assembly from Amayama, but a few days after I ordered they canceled the order since it wasn’t actually in stock.

Now attempting to order from Impex (waiting for in-stock confirmation), but they won’t ship to Japan so I’m having them ship to me in the USA and then shipping back to Japan…

If that doesn’t work, I may try an EA12R fuel pump from Amayama next…
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris da Silva » Mon Dec 11, 2023 00:53

Hi Chris.

That's really disappointing. :(

I Hope you're more successful this time when you place an order from Impex.

As an aside, would it be worth thinking about getting the replacement [pattern] part from eBay? I'm sure you want to get the Cappo back on the road ASAP.

On the plus side, it's a lot less expensive. :wink:
Last edited by Chris da Silva on Mon Dec 11, 2023 07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Mon Dec 11, 2023 01:25

Hi Ian.

In answer to your question (re: Any Progress?) I got myself a pattern/direct replacement fuel pump from one of the eBay sellers I mentioned. And it's as good as gold!

When the old pump was removed, I compared it side-by-side with the new item; and it's a carbon copy! :-D What more can I say? In the end, I didn't go for the one offered by Impex for obvious reasons: I thought the prices from the Japanese sources (Amayama, Impex etc.) were well over the top; so I scoured eBay and found the direct/non-Suzuki replacement at a fraction of the price!

At the end of the day, it's just the replacement fuel pump at a sensible price. Guess that makes sense. :D
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:35

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a winner! I didn't expect suppliers to bother with pattern parts for the Cappo, as there are so few cars left, but if the part is used in the profusion of small Suzuki vans and cars, etc, and maybe even other Japanese brands, it would make all the difference.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Mon Dec 11, 2023 14:53

That's what I thought too. :D
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris Wessing » Mon Dec 11, 2023 19:45

Hey guys,

I'm not in a huge rush since the car is in Japan and I'm in the USA, won't get back to see the car until sometime next year. I assumed there was a bit of modification required to use a pattern part, but if it's a carbon copy then I'm totally OK with it (was trying to avoid explaining the modifications to my Suzuki mechanic in Japanese.) I'm guessing Impex will also come back and also say the entire assembly is not in stock, and I'll be forced to go with a pattern part anyways.

Also lining up a number of other repairs prior to my next trip (differential/engine mounts, exhaust, etc), can't wait to see how different the car feels! Trying to get it all back to feeling like a brand new car.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Next

Return to General