How many [filters]?

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

How many [filters]?

Postby Chris da Silva » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:48

How many filters does a Cappuccino have?

Apart from [the obvious] oil filter, I was informed by the senior Service Department receptionist at my local Suzuki dealer that there are 2 other filters which need changing at a major service. (My car is the Series 2 - VIN beginning with EA21R.)

The two other filters in question are (a) fuel and (b) the air con for dust and pollen! (What - no air filter??)

Is this right? I'm very confused.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: How many [filters]?

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Nov 01, 2021 22:06

There is certainly an air filter for the inlet air for the engine. If you look up the EA21R Parts Catalog (click "Manuals" above the blue banner) you will see it at Fig 11 Item2 Part No 13780-54E00.

I cannot see a pollen filter in the aircon/heater sections, and I've not heard of one.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Nov 02, 2021 03:00

Hello Ian

That's got me confused too! I never heard of a filter in the air con ..... and that was coming from the Service Department of a Suzuki dealership!!

I wonder where he got his information from ....???

In the course of this week, I will check out another Suzuki dealership in the city and see if they can give the Cappo its regular service. Bear in mind that the Cappo was never officially imported into Australia, those that are already here were brought in by enthusiasts (like me!). I bought mine from the other side of the country in Sydney and had it transported to Perth on the other side of the country and 2 time zones difference!

Apart from that, the car runs beautifully. What can I say? :D
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:08

Hello Chris,

Many modern cars have what is commonly called a pollen filter, situated between the fresh air inlet and the heater matrix (which also houses the aircon evaporator). I think that may have confused your local dealership.

If your chosen dealer does not have the maintenance schedule for the car, you could take a print of the relevant pages of the one for the EA11R (also in the Manuals section of the site). I doubt it would be any different for your car.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:50

Hello Ian.

I think you're right there! As my Cappo is circa 1996, I didn't think a pollen filter was fitted to that model throughout its entire production run.

All the same, I will take a print of the relevant page(s) for the EA11R and show it to the dealership.

Thanks for your valued info. :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 16:18

I didn't think to say - the main difference between the cars is that your engine has a timing chain, whereas the EA11R has a belt. So disregard mention of timing belt in the maintenance schedule.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Nov 03, 2021 02:56

OK - thanks for the tip. :)

It had slipped my mind that the EA21's engine uses a timing chain as opposed to a timing belt as fitted to the EA11s. :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to General