Clarion CRX 74 connector

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Clarion CRX 74 connector

Postby George Mercer » Wed May 05, 2021 10:43

Hi, I have got hold of a Clarion CRX 74 radio but it doesn't have a connector harness to the car wiring. It looks like the type that would be used if you had a removable radio. Does anyone happen to have an old harness for this? Failing that, does anyone know of a company would could rework the radio to change the connector to something more common? Thanks.
George Mercer
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Clarion CRX 74 connector

Postby Ian Linden » Sat May 08, 2021 07:34

Hi George,
I did an EBay search for "harness Clarion", and got a lot of possibilities. Here's one, as an example.

Hopefully, by comparing what you have to the photos, you'll be able to identify what you need.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Re: Clarion CRX 74 connector

Postby Martin Williams » Sun May 09, 2021 21:54

Yes, that does rather look like a connection for a slide mount radio and a quick google for the CRX74 has some images with "slide out chassis" marked on the surround to radio. Unfortunately I've not been able to find any further details of the Clarion slide mount for you. *Edit* Is there an appropriate connection diagram on the https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio-car-connector/CLARION-Car-Radio-Wiring-Connector.htm webpage labelled as CLARION CRH71 PE-9411A? *End edit*
Back in the late '80s I fitted two different Blaupunkt slide mounts. If I remember correctly for one of them you removed the existing connector block from the radio and fitted a special slide mount one that mated with the fixed chassis. The other added extra length to the radio body with the adaptor so you could just remove the adaptor to get to the original connections.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to General