Brakes!

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Brakes!

Postby Dan Batchelor » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:56

Just had my 36k service and have been told my rear discs and pads will need replacing soon :(

I seem to remember from posts on the old message board that the discs are the same as the Suzuki Swift GTi, but I can't remember if that was the front or rear or both! :?

Does anyone out there recall the details or know what the score (no pun intended :D ) is?

Alternatively, has anyone uprated their brakes, if so what have you done :?:

Thanks

Dan
Dan Batchelor

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Thu Apr 25, 2002 17:20

You'll find the rear pads are unique - I'm in Australia and I'm having to import them from new zealand to get a half decent price. I've heard they're not expensive in the UK though.

Discs I believe are also unique, but I'm not certain about that - fortunately mine are good. I think they might be expensive there though...?
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Jo Atkin » Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:49

I recently had both of mine done and I think it was less than £200 I personally think that was good compared to the amounts I have spent on my cappo. But someone else thought it extortionate but then he did say he does most of the work on his car himself! so dunno really. I could get the exact figure for you though.

I think I may have to take a car mechanic course though!!
:laughol:

Yeh right! I'd break too many nails so I'll pay the price!

:girl:
Jo Atkin

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Apr 26, 2002 17:38

Dan,

I found I could get front pads quite reasonably priced from Halfords, but not rears; they came from the Suzuki dealer at about £26, if I remember correctly.

There was a post on the old message board about disks; from memory it was the Non-GT Swift which fitted, but I forget whether it was backs, fronts or Swift fronts to Cappo backs :!:

:idea: Try asking Dave Benson; his email is available on the memberlist.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Sat Apr 27, 2002 03:29

Think you'll find you can match front pads and possibly discs to Non-GTI swifts, but not the rears - they are different.
Thomas Waterhouse

Brake Pads and other parts downunder

Postby Mathew Martin-Iverson » Mon May 20, 2002 02:55

Hi,
I am a new member, from Perth Australia, looking for brake pads for my 92 cap - No one in Perth has been much help - Apparently there are only about 4 caps in Perth (as far as I have been able to count).

Can anyone from Australia or New Zealand give me any advice on hunting down the brake pads?
While I'm looking for pads, I probably should also look for a new timing belt, fan belt and radiator hoses. Can anyone help me with any of these?

Thanks much,
Mathew Martin-Iverson
Mathew Martin-Iverson

Postby Matthew Prescott » Mon May 20, 2002 03:19

Try Supreme Parts in New Zealand, email parts@supremelmvd.co.nz, for the rear brake pads.

Thomas recently bought a set of replacement rears from them and they cost about $98 AUD, which I think is pretty reasonable given some other prices I have heard (eg, in excess of $200).

Fortunately I haven't needed any brake parts myself, but I did order an owner's manual from them by email, and they were happy to help.

As for the front pads, as mentioned in this thread I understand they are the same as from some other Suzuki model like a Swift, so it shouldn't be too hard to find those. Nobody seems to be quite clear on this though, so can somebody else provide more information?

As for the timing belt, we have been able to buy those from a local Suzuki dealer in Adelaide, for about $150. This dealer keeps certain ordinary service parts in stock, such as oil filters, belts etc. Have you tried any Suzuki dealers in Perth to see if they do the same? Our Adelaide dealer might be different because they've sold and service a few Cappuccinos.

Otherwise I'd recommend Supreme for those parts as well.
Matthew Prescott

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Mon May 20, 2002 03:23

A warning - it took me months in the end just to get rear pads, some of this stuff may be difficult too, but I can help with most of it.

Front Pads - I've never done them but i believe they will match some non-GTI swift front pads. Take the pads to a suzuki dealer if you want originals or a good brake shop and they can easily check to make sure they match.

Rear Pads -

options:--ECB make a set, my local autobarn could probably ahve got them, but for $250!
--Endless have some listed but as of feb they hadn't made any yet - but they were only about $70-80 so it would be worth checking if they are avaliable yet. Let me know if you can't find anyone who sells endless (you should be able to) over there and I can check with my local store.
--Zega sell them, probably the ECB ones as they are also $250ish.
--The best option - ring up this place in NZ and order them. They cost me $A98 in the end with postage, but I think they are sposed to be a little bit more normally. They got here in just under 2 weeks, are original suzuki, and fit perfectly, and even come with graphite? greese for the slides!
The phone call may cost a few dollars but it is worth it.

Supreme motor group
http://www.supremelmvd.co.nz
I think it is Shaun you need to speak to on 04-3845016
From memory from Australia it would be 0011 64 43845016
pretty sure you drop the 0.
He was very helpful, and sent them off that day. Only problem is he may not have any in stock now, so it may take a little while (from japan!). BTW they are blue not black (as my orginals were), don't spose you have a blue car to match? :-)

Timing beltI got one from my local suzuki dealer - suzuki in the city, here in adelaide. They usually have them in stock, we've bought a couple recently but they should still have some. I got it for $120, slight discount i think, if they want more mention my name they kinda know me :-)
Otherwise i think you can match it in the gates catalogue, but getting it may be very difficult and they are $140 anyway i think.
Otherwise NZ would have them (probably cheaper too).

Fan belt
Haven't done it, but I'd be pretty confident that if you pull it off a good store (repco, sprints, autobarn, etc) will match it no probs. Otherwise our local dealer would do them i guess.

Radiator hoses
anyone in the UK help with this one?
Never thought about it. I suspect the only place worth trying would be NZ, otherwise have some made up.

If you have any problems let me know - happy to help out.

Damn, matthew just beat me to it!
As he said, I suspect our suzuki dealer is somewhat rare in that they stock some parts.
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Mon May 20, 2002 03:29

BTW I'd call supreme not email them - they can be slow on email and it is better to phone your credit card details in not by plain email!
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Matthew Prescott » Mon May 20, 2002 03:31

snap, I think we were typing at the same time.

Also, I might mention that you can probably email the NZ place instead of telephone if you prefer - I just emailed them (I think they got sick of my messages in the end, because the manual had to be reprinted :!: and come from Japan and so took a while). I just sent my credit card by email too, which is probably a no-no.
Matthew Prescott

Postby Matthew Prescott » Mon May 20, 2002 03:32

we've got to stop doing that! :roll: :)
Matthew Prescott

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Mon May 20, 2002 03:33

well probably not as bad as giving it to a waiter at a restaurant and it getting taken out of your sight, but still pretty bad!!
I'm all for credit card usage online - but I'd never use plain email!
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Matthew Prescott » Mon May 20, 2002 03:40

yeah, I know, I know... I did take the small precaution of sending it in two "halves", waiting for confirmation in between, over a couple of days, to reduce the risk a little. But people: do not try this at home :)
Matthew Prescott

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Mon May 20, 2002 03:44

I thought it was worth the $2? or so for a call, much quicker!
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Matthew Prescott » Mon May 20, 2002 03:55

Time wasn't an issue for me, it ended up taking 2 months for the book to arrive anyway.

We should tell the to get a PGP key or a secure server, to facilitate their online business in supplying brake pads to us Aussies!
Matthew Prescott

Supreme worked

Postby Mathew Martin-Iverson » Mon May 20, 2002 05:00

Matthew and Thomas,

Thanks much guys!! I called Shaun at supreme - the rear brake pads are in the post (at $93 kiwi dollars), and he expects that the timing belt will be in by next week at about $80 kiwi dollars.

He was very helpful - unlike the suzuki dealers here in Perth!!

Thanks again :D !!

Mathew Martin-Iverson
Mathew Martin-Iverson

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Mon May 20, 2002 15:21

Unfortunately Aussie suzuki dealers can't really be helpful - blame suzuki australia not the dealers. They don't let dealers buy cap parts at all through them, because they were never sold here. So if dealers want parts they have to buy through importers or something, ie they either don't do them at all or are expensive.
Thomas Waterhouse

Alternator belt

Postby Luke Bettany » Thu May 30, 2002 11:55

If you're after an alternator belt in Aus try calling Adelaide Belt & Hose as they are only about $15 and there are no belts at Rooca Bros, Autobarn etc that come around the same size.

Luke
Luke Bettany

Return to General