Dirty, just dirty!

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Dirty, just dirty!

Postby Alexander Vokes » Mon Apr 01, 2002 19:14

I have dirty headlight lenses, on the inside, and I am very concerned with attacking them as they are expensive items. I have heard that they are glued on to the casing as well as the obvious clips. Is there anuy likelyhood of me damaging them, tryind to get them apart with sovents, Like I disd with the LED brake light?

Thanks in anticipation.
Alexander Vokes

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Apr 01, 2002 21:36

I haven't had this problem, but I remember a discussion on the old message board which essentially said - don't. :(
Just wondering if you could , by removing the lamp, get a sort of giant cotton bud in, with some cleaning fluid such as iso-propyl alcohol, which should deal with most grime without harming the plastic :?:
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Tue Apr 02, 2002 02:26

I've taken apart headlights before and they are usually horrendous. They usually glue them together so well that you end up breaking them. It isn't worth the risk just to clean them. As Ian said, by removing the lights you might be able to get into them enough, or remove them altogether and slosh some cleaning fluid around in them.
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Tue Apr 02, 2002 08:31

Agree with the advice, don't attempt anything unless you really have nothing else to lose.

I opened one up to repair some damage, I was sucessful but really wouldn't want to try it again!

The 'resin' that has been used to fix the headlight lens on softens with heat - I actually put the whole unit in the oven for 20mins at about 90degrees!!! Lots of wiggling and prising later it opened.

Getting the thing back together again is another story... :twisted:

Good luck if you try!

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Postby Adrian Furniss » Tue Apr 02, 2002 11:59

I've no experience of the Cappo's headlights, but did dismantle my Saab's recently. It came apart and went back together really easily - loads of clips and no glue.

Adrian
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Cheers

Postby Alexander Vokes » Mon Apr 08, 2002 21:10

Thanks you lot, I will probably try to do it from the bulb housing now. I don,t like the sound of baking them. What's the receipe anyway?
Alexander Vokes

Return to General