Fitting extra speakers

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Fitting extra speakers

Postby Craig Grattan » Thu Feb 20, 2003 16:24

Hi folks,
Does anyone know if the @parcel shelf@ behind the seats can safely be cut into from the point of view of installing speakers :?:

cheers,
Craig
Craig Grattan

Postby Greg Stewart » Fri Feb 21, 2003 09:29

Hi Craig. I wouldn't cut the parcel shelf, getting a new one if needed would be a nightmare.

Believe it or not I have a pair of 6"x9"s on a board on the parcel shelf. I did it "for a Laugh" a few months ago, but it sounds great so I left it. I will post photos in a few weeks if you like (I'm offshore at the mo :cry: ).

The board is made of ply and is shaped to fit the shelf at approx 45 deg's, and is covered with black cloth, its fixed using the existing mounting holes for the luggage net.
Greg Stewart
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Craig Grattan » Sun Feb 23, 2003 03:06

Thanks for the idea Greg, sounds like it may be the way to go.....

please do post the pics when you get the chance, as it would be great to see where I need to start....
Craig Grattan

Postby Greg Stewart » Tue Mar 18, 2003 22:37

Check photo album "Parcel shelf speakers"

These are the pics of the "speaker board" for the parcel shelf. If you are handy with wood it could be made with better contours (although the shelf is an awkward shape).

The board is approx' 9" by 40" (maybe 42", will check and update later).
Greg Stewart
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Speakers for Parcel Shelf, from Barbados

Postby David Emmett » Tue May 13, 2003 14:35

Hello from Barbados
I had a speaker shelf made by a friend for my Cappuccino.
It holds some lovely 6 x 9 Pioneer 4 Way speakers that sound so good at lower volumes, since they are right behind the head.
Will post pics within a wk. of both the shelf before & after installation.
David., cui@sunbeach.net
David Emmett
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sound System for a Cappo

Postby Mark Fitz » Tue May 27, 2003 19:39

If you are not too worried about losing the parcel shelf storage space it is possible to fit a subwoofer to the car! 8O

When I purchased my Cappo about four years ago it came complete with a sub box that had been built around the centre section of the parcel shelf. As it had been custom built for the Cappo the previous owner had left the box in the car complete with an 8" speaker. It seemed a shame to see all his hard work go to waste so I decided to build up a new system around the already fitted sub.

The box is covered in the same material as the floor and blends in nicely with the rest of the car and the sub points out forward between the two seats. A pair of 6 1/2" mids sit in the the standard slots in the footwells along with a pair of tweeters that nestle in the slots built into the top of the dash. The whole system is powered by a 4 channel amp that sits behind the drivers seat with 2 channels powering the front speakers and the other 2 channels bridged together for the sub.

By the way, I have looked into getting a spare parcel shelf for the Cappo so that I could whip out the sub box when I needed some extra storage space. If my memory serves me correctly the centre section of the parcel shelf costs around £60.00.

Mark
:twisted:
Mark Fitz

Postby Michael Krellowetz » Tue Jun 17, 2003 09:54

Why not trying a pair of small bookshelf speakers or studio monitors in front of the seats (in the footroom).
If they are small enough, you dont even become aware of their existence (you don't touch them with your legs). I myself have a pair of MAGNAT MATRIX speakers installed. Their shape of a trapezium makes them fit perfectly in front of the seats. They do a fine job with an amazing crisp bass, only the high frequencies need a little extra push (e.g. additional extra tweeters) The speakers are hold on the ground by some adhesive tape (the one with that little thorns to stick on the carpet)

Regards
Mick
Michael Krellowetz

Postby Alex Clouter » Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:34

Why not try fitting a set of speakers in the head restraints - great effect and although fiddly to do, it's worth it... and you still have the luggage space behind!!

I had briefly mentioned this somewhere else on the website so thought I should detail the work done here...

Remove the head restraints and take off the vinyl material.

Gouge out a hole in the sponge just a shade smaller than the speaker you plan to fit: this will ensure a snug and safe fit for the speaker.

From a template that SCORE can supply you then make a series of holes in the vinyl material that would be facing you when fitted back on the restraint. The template has a circular pattern to work from and is sited in the middle of the restraint.

Cover the sponge/ speaker with the vinyl material and ensure that the speaker holes on the material line up with the actual speaker (otherwise the sound will be muffled!).

Connect the speaker wiring through the bottom hole of the head restraint and through the inner back of the seat down to the floor - then return the head restraint back onto the seat.

All you then do is run the wiring underneath the carpet and behind the console for fitting to your hi-fi.

It can be a long and fiddly job but the final result is worth it!

I will try to borrow a digital camera to take a photo of the template pattern on the head restraint.
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Steve Lewis » Wed Jun 25, 2003 15:06

Alex wrote:Gouge out a hole in the sponge just a shade smaller than the speaker you plan to fit: this will ensure a snug and safe fit for the speaker.

8O "Gouge" :!: No - do it nicely like this:

:cheers:
Steve.
Steve Lewis

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jun 25, 2003 19:52

Very neat, Steve.

But, bearing in mind the prime function of the head restraints (ouch :!: ), I think I'd prefer to fit the speakers from the rear, and make some apertures through the foam to the front for the sound to emerge.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Alex Clouter » Mon Jun 30, 2003 23:36

Hi Ian

After seeing my speakers at the rally last weekend, you are now of a different opinion?

By the way it was a Freudian slip of the tongue when I mentioned the word 'gouge' - sculpted is a better word to describe the area where the speaker is housed!
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Jun 30, 2003 23:44

Alex,

Yours' are well recessed, but I'd still Do It My Way.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to Cappuccino FAQ