Rear Brake Pad Key Springs

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Rear Brake Pad Key Springs

Postby Brent Chalker » Wed Dec 22, 2021 00:42

Hello SCORE,

I am having a really hard time getting the rear brake pads secured on my Cappo, and have lost two of the key springs (left side). Can anyone direct me to where I can find replacements for these, or are they something I'm going to have to have special made? The replacement pads I purchased did not come with any hardware whatsoever.

Thanks,
Brent Chalker
Brent Chalker
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Rear Brake Pad Key Springs

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Dec 23, 2021 00:44

Hi Brent,

The spares catalogue (see the Manuals section - link at the top of this page) shows at Fig 61 Item 30 "SPRING , key". If that's what you're after, they are available from https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/search.html?partNo=55182-81400.

The drawing is not very clear, but I think they are the same as the springs which are included in Item 3 the Suzuki Pad kit 55810-50E10, also from https://en.impex-jp.com/parts/new/search.html?partNo=55810-50E10.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Fri Dec 24, 2021 21:49

Ian, I think the spring item 30 is the one that retains the "key" in place and looks a bit like a letter R with only one per brake.

The springs that run along the top of the pad do appear to come with the Suzuki pad set item 3 and do not seem to have separate part numbers.

The non oem pad sets I have bought in the past have not included the springs or anti squeal shims, I have always reused the original ones.

Note that a Brembo set of Pads I bought for my Alfa included a "fitting kit" which impressed me. Unfortunately Brembo do not do rear pads for a Cappuccino!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Dec 24, 2021 23:23

That's a pity, Can you perhaps return the pads you bought, and get the Suzuki kit from impex?
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Sat Dec 25, 2021 01:36

Brent,
using a well known search engine I stumbled across these brake pad spring clips - https://www.ebay.com/itm/332750303009. They are for the rear brakes on a Peugeot 206. I would suggest you investigate the dimensions of the pads compared to a Cappuccino, if they are very similar then these springs might do the trick. However you don't want to take any chances with incorrect parts for your brakes!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Brent Chalker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 04:04

Ian, thanks for the Impex links... The pricing is much better than Megazip, who list the rear pad set close to $700 USD. 8O

Martin, I'm going to grab that set up for spares and see how they work out. I'll report back when they arrive.

I ended up purchasing a set of wire forming pliers, and I used the same gauge wire to make replicas of the springs I still had on hand. It was relatively easy to do and worked like a charm.
Brent Chalker
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Dec 29, 2021 09:37

Brent Chalker wrote:Ian, thanks for the Impex links... The pricing is much better than Megazip, who list the rear pad set close to $700 USD. 8O

That's a sure sign its old stock running out. If you want a set of Suzuki kits for the future, I'd buy now.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Brent Chalker » Sat Jan 08, 2022 05:47

I just received the Peugot hardware set that Martin linked, and the retaining springs and key springs work perfectly as replacements. The metal plates do not, though. They're too short.
Brent Chalker
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Return to General