Is this the third UK Cappo - and it is not red or silver!

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Is this the third UK Cappo - and it is not red or silver!

Postby Martin Williams » Sat Mar 16, 2019 16:29

Just spotted a Cappuccino for auction by Anglia Auctions.

Few details yet but from the chassis number it appears to be the third UK type approved one!

The sale is on 13th April. Details at https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic ... -from-new/
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Is this the third UK Cappo - and it is not red or silver

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17

Hi Martin,

This is interesting. There is verbal history that the very early imports, perhaps a small batch to pioneer the local modifications required for Type Approval, were not either red or silver. I have seen one which was green, and I'm aware that it was kept by Suzuki (or a dealer) virtually unused for many years. It was eventually sold to a member in 2006 (which was when I saw it).

I have just looked it up in the register, and it is the same VIN!!! (00006). So, on the face of it, it's a re-spray. I think it would have to be, anyway, because, if memory serves me correctly, the blue colour was introduced at a later time in a Limited Edition model in Japan.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:38

It is hard to see from the photos but it does look dark green to me. Certainly the underbonnet view fits with that.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Mar 17, 2019 13:18

Perhaps it is, but not on my monitor :D

I'm surprised how little use it has had since 2006, assuming it has not been clocked (the numbers are not quite in-line, which is said to be a give-away). Perhaps it was seen as an investment.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Alex Clouter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:55

Just to let you know that the car up for sale is definitely a dark green Cappuccino, owned by the then Chief Executive of Heron Suzuki. When he suddenly died, it was his son who initially contacted me at that time, when I was involved with SCORE as well as an employee of Suzuki as Marketing Manager - 4 wheel. He was keen for me to promote it on a first-come first-served basis. One SCORE member quickly telephoned me, so the contact details were given. An offer was accepted by the son and a meeting took place at Suzuki HQ in Crawley when the car was handed over.
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Martin Williams » Sat Mar 23, 2019 13:50

I see the auction listing has now been updated to say:
"Chassis number JSAEEA11R00100006. First registered to Suzuki GB in 1993, this car was imported into the UK for type testing, probably in 1990 or 1991. Three cars were imported including this one, described as British Racing green, a red one and a silver one. The silver one was destroyed in the crash test, the red one went to Suzuki in Holland and the green one to Suzuki GB. Used occasionally by the Managing Director for club runs, it spent most of it's time on a plinth in the head office foyer. The car was eventually sold when Suzuki GB moved their headquarters at the same time as the MD passed away. Purchased by the vendor in 2006, he advises that the car, which has always been garaged during his ownership and never taken out in the rain, was taken off the road in 2015. It is described as being in very good condition with a couple of scratches on the rear bumper that occurred when it was pushed off it's plinth in 2006, which due to it's history the vendor decided not to repair. The history file includes letter from Suzuki, the original service booklet from 1993 stamped from 1999 to 2002, MoT certificates, 1990's tax discs, one service invoice dated from 2006 when purchased, handbooks and wallet."
So it looks like the only "official" import that was not either red or silver.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Martin Williams » Tue Apr 16, 2019 20:48

It sold for £9,964.
The other week a 48,000 mile red one sold for £4,408 at Mathewsons
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Apr 17, 2019 08:04

I wonder whether it will continue to be kept undriven, or very little use.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to General