Cappuccinos In California?

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Cappuccinos In California?

Postby Ron Kitamura » Sat Jul 07, 2018 01:08

Has anyone heard of any Suzuki Cappuccinos that have made it to California?

Google Dustin Yee and his Brappuccino and there you'll find his Cappuccino not only imported but nicely modified.

BUT he still has Washington State plates.

While Cappuccinos are totally legal to import directly into the USA, they're only legal to register everywhere but California.

In other words, in California its okay to buy and title the car but its not legal to drive on the street?

So is there anyone here that has some experience or info that could help me in my quest to have a street legal Cappuccino in California?

Thanks.
Ron Kitamura
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Cappuccinos In California?

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Jul 07, 2018 09:06

Hi Ron,

We have a member in CAL who was trying to import a Cappo about 15 months ago - I don't know how he fared, but you could try comparing notes with him.

He may not see this. I'll email him with your email.

Otherwise, could you get an out-of-state relative/friend to register it and "lend" it to you?
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Ron Kitamura » Wed Jul 11, 2018 04:27

Thanks Ian.

Yeah, after nearly two years that guy is still in Cali and spotted with current Washington State tags on his license plates.

From what little I've been able to track down the whole deal seems a little "shady" but who am I to judge?

I guess that's why they're still considered "grey market" vehicles over here?
Ron Kitamura
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ron Kitamura » Wed Jul 11, 2018 04:44

For those of you reading this, here's a video of what is considered the FIRST road legal Cappuccino in California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLkfzC033Y

Until I get one I'll have to envy and live vicariously through this guy!
Ron Kitamura
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris Wessing » Wed Jul 11, 2018 22:12

I looked into registering a Cappuccino in California last year but wasn't able to find a way to do it without paying a company around $5-6k to convert it to be street legal and meet emissions standards. The car in the video still has the Washington plates on it, I think he'll run into troubles when he tries to register it in California.

-Chris
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ron Kitamura » Wed Jul 11, 2018 23:47

Hi Chris, good to know.

Yeah, that guy with the Washington plates has had me thinking for awhile now.

On the video linked above he even said that he went up to Washington and obtained a state Driver's License so he could register the car there.

Since he's modded the car so much he'll never be able to get the car registered for CAL emissions?

I saw recent pictures, about 6-7 weeks ago, on another site that he's been able to keep current Washington State tags on his Cappuccino.

So the answer there is that he probably never intended to have the car registered in California?

Thanks, Ron

Also. I don't mean to be calling out Dustin Yee for being anything but clever. I look forward to talk directly to him to uncover his "work-around."
Ron Kitamura
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris Wessing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 02:17

I had thought of registering mine in Wisconsin under a family members name but was too much trouble, and sort of gave up hope for awhile. Anyone else interested in registering a Cappuccino in California? Maybe we can get a package deal from GNK Auto? I just submitted a request for a quote, I think it was around $6k when I talked to them last year.

http://gnkauto.com/
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris Wessing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 02:51

Looks like this guy was able to register one in California, now if only I can figure out how to get a hold of him... =)

https://www.instagram.com/capposaurus/
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ron Kitamura » Thu Jul 12, 2018 03:13

Chris, it would be nice to pair up and see if there would be some kind of discount?

But my understanding is that every car is tested on a case-by-case basis?

I wish it was a matter where once a car was tested and approved then that year and model would go into to the system and clear the way for others to come into the state?

As you may already know, every car has to go under FTP (Federal Testing Procedures) in order to get a CARB Conformance tag? And as far as I've been able to tell, there are only two labs in California approved to do it?

There was a period when Kei cars were CARB exempt since they met the under 60 cubic inches engine displacement exemption. But that's been closed.

So now I'm doing what Ian suggested and started to track down other California Cappuccino owners to see what they've encountered and maybe find a few options that aren't obvious at this time?

Let's stay in touch?

Ron
Ron Kitamura
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris Wessing » Sun Jul 22, 2018 17:24

Here's what I heard from someone who was able to register their Cappuccino in California. I talked to G&K and they quoted me 2-3 months and $4850 to convert a Cappuccino.

"First the car has to be converted to CA compliance at G&K in Long Beach. They're the only shop in CA that can do it that I know of. The process takes a very long time. For me at least since it was the first Cappuccino to become CA road legal, and it took 10 months. The process should go a lot faster since they've done a second Cappuccino already that's nowhere to be found. Average time to convert a car is roughly 5 months. I believe the conversion is purely mechanical, and the only visual changes they did that I could find are a larger charcoal canister and 2 more catalytic converters (3 total).

Then the car needs to see the State Referee to smog and confirm that the work G&K did was completed. You need the paperwork from them to register and title the car. I paid a little under $500 to get the car registered and titled.

As for insurance, Hagerty or Gieco. These are the only insurance companies that I know of that now have the Cappuccino in their system. You can definitely try asking other companies if they can. The only caveat with Hagerty is you need to own a daily driver that is under a different insurance company like Allstate. They won't insure the car without a daily driver. "
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ron Kitamura » Mon Jul 23, 2018 16:58

Okay, that will be some key info, thanks. That car sounds a lot like Capposaurus on Instagram? I started to message him there a few days ago and found out he used G&K,10 months process...,etc? I thought I'd eventually ask him for some hard numbers but you may have already beat me to the punch!
Ron Kitamura
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Chris Wessing » Tue Jul 24, 2018 00:32

Yup, that was from Capposaurus. Sounds like G&K have converted two Cappuccinos so far, would have been fun to be the first. =)
Chris Wessing
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Return to General