Exhaust replacement

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Exhaust replacement

Postby Collette Dobson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 18:49

What is the current position on exhausts? Just noticed the tail pipe on my Cappo is rusting off the box. I assume main agents won't have them but are there currently any other suppliers? I would rather a mild steel one than a noisy made up stainless one.
Any advice welcome?

Thanks

Collette

BTW - just checked and we have had our Cappo 21 years now ! :roll: :roll:
Collette Dobson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Exhaust replacement

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Dec 16, 2017 00:44

I would expect them to be available via Suzuki dealers - try Levois of Colchester - they give us 10% discount https://www.suzuki-shop.co.uk/.

I doubt any aftermarket supplier will have Cappo exhausts - not enough demand.

The other way is direct from Japan e.g. Amayama, and search by part number (from the parts catalog - click Manuals).

My '93 Cappo is still on its original exhaust.

The cheapest option is probably a lifetime SS system. As they are made up to order, you can specify a well muffled box. They will probably be surprised, as
most of their customers want the opposite :D I have a SS system on my Grand Vitara - it was a bit noisy at first, but quietened down as it sooted up. New MS systems are also, at first, noisier than those they replace, for the same reason.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Mon Dec 18, 2017 22:19

There don't seem to be any second hand ones on the market at the moment that look worth checking out.
Previously I have picked up a good half stainless system which was a little louder but, being less restrictive, boosted the mpg (on the future project restoration!) and a scarcely used genuine part to replace the original on my daily driver not that long after buying it at 16,000 miles and 20 years old.
I would investigate the a custom built stainless system and compare prices with a genuine replacement. Note the genuine replacements are just as good as the original unlike the genuine part I put on my Citroen BX many years ago, the same pressing but not protectively plated.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Collette Dobson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:46

Happy New Year and thanks for the advice. I have just taken the old box down to my friendly local welder who thinks he can do a decent repair with a made-up collar. The rest of the box looks in good shape and it is an original Suzuki one.

If that doesn't work then I think I will go SS.

Incidentally and well against the odds, the welder has a silver cappo up on his ramps for a rust inspection. Lots apparently so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being broken - a shame if that happens.
Is it a SCORE car? L470HUV. - VIN ends 455.
Collette Dobson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Collette Dobson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59

Well our welder did a grand job. Cut the bracket out of the way, welded on a sleeve and then replaced the bracket - and all for £20 !

I was going to attach a photo but I can't see how to do that - can anyone tell me?
Collette Dobson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:54

Good news 8)

You can upload it to a suitable website, and then post its URL using the Img button. I use imgur.

Or you can post the image into your album on this site and do the same. Click Gallery ‹ Users Personal Albums » Your Personal Album. Gallery is top-right.

Btw, L470HUV is not on the register.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Collette Dobson » Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:13

Managed to get the image available - not intuitive I have to say !

Collette Dobson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jan 10, 2018 13:19

Very neat job, and amazingly cheap. Anything doing costs an arm and a leg here.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Wed Jan 10, 2018 14:39

Anything which keeps it going in a cost effective manner is good news, excellent.

Might be worth putting some heat proof paint on it, welded aluminised mild steel will rust very quickly, some paint will slow down the effect even if it won't stop it altogether. Even ordinary hammerite or similar would probably survive OK there, it's near the end and doesn't get ridiculously hot.
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to General