Big Noise

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Big Noise

Postby Avril McPherson » Sat Mar 14, 2015 09:36

Can anyone tell me why the hood of my car won't go down and there is a constant high pitch sound when the engine is on. It happened before and then just stopped, but then the hood did go down. I need some help before I go deaf - have to keep my music on high volume to drown it out :D

Thanks
Avril McPherson
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Big Noise

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:34

Hi Avril,

I take it you mean the rear window? The high pitched noise is a warning annunciator to tell you it is not locked in either the up or down position. The reason it will not lock down is probably a mechanical problem - the central console and the "parcel shelf" moulding need to be removed to gain access to see what the problem is.

If the problem is with the release control, you may find you can overcome it by trying to press the window down whilst holding the release up - if that works, it may only need some lubrication, but you will have to gain access to do that anyway.

For a view of the innards, see pages 9-13 and 9-14 of the online Service Manual, and Figure 83 of the EA11R Parts Catalog.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Avril McPherson » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:40

Hi Ian, yes I guess I mean the rear window. It won't budge even if I try and push the leaver at the same time :( And my handbook stops as 9-8. That's how it was given to me. So do I need a new part for it and if so would you happen to know the part code? I am going to do her up this year - only 36,000 on the clock but she is starting to fall apart. Need to sort all the bits first and the I will get the bodywork done. Thanks
Avril McPherson
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Avril McPherson » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:48

Oh just noticed you said ONLINE manuals - will go and take a look now. Thanks
Avril McPherson
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Adrian Furniss » Fri Mar 27, 2015 00:36

Hi Avril,

I know of a couple of issues with the back window, both of which prevent it going down properly.

• The window can snag on the edge of a plastic lining in the cavity.
  • The rubber seal bonded to the lower edge of the window can pull up past the top edge of the cavity.

I'm not aware that either of these will cause the alarm to sound but both are fairly simple to fix.
SCORE Web Site Administrator
SCORE Classifieds
Regional Representative - Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Postby Avril McPherson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:26

Thanks Ian. The car is impossible to drive at the moment because the noise drives me crazy. I will have a look at your suggestions. If it's not that can you buy the switch that operates this going down? If so what is it called?
Avril McPherson
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:48

Avril,

The problem sounds to me to be mechanical, but without actually removing the "parcel shelf" trim panels and looking at the system, it isn't possible to say which part could be at fault. It may simply be lack of lubrication/rust, or that something has fallen into the window well and is physically obstructing movement of the window.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Avril McPherson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 20:24

Thanks. I will try and take it apart at the week-end - yikes LOL
Avril McPherson
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Apr 09, 2015 21:34

OK, when removing the center console, lift the rubber pad out of the central cubby to get access to the bolt(s) - can't remember how many.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to General