What are the largest tyres I can put on my Cappuccino?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

What are the largest tyres I can put on my CAppuccino?

Postby Barry Moore » Wed Jan 23, 2002 18:06

What's the maximum size I can put on standard rims :?:
What about if I change the wheels - what size can I go to without rubbing the arches :?:
Barry Moore

Largest wheels & tyres

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Wed Jan 23, 2002 19:55

I dont know the answer to either of these questions but someone who was at British Aerospace Samlesbury earlier this week may be able to help a little!

I attended a meeting their and to my suprise spotted a Cappuccino in the car park. I rushed over with a 'froth card', checked to see that there were no SCORE markings and placed the card under the windscreen wiper.

This Cappuccino certainly had non-standard wheels and tyres fitted and they were pretty BIG :!:

It was freezing outside so I didn't hang about for long but I wished now that I had looked at the tyre size.

If that was your car, let us know whats fitted!

Shaun.

p.s. sorry if you are already a SCORE member!
Shaun Hodgson

Largest wheels & tyres

Postby Barry Moore » Thu Jan 24, 2002 00:47

Shaun Hodgson wrote:I dont know the answer to either of these questions but someone who was at British Aerospace Samlesbury earlier this week may be able to help a little!

I know some people that work there so I'll ask if they know who it is.
Barry Moore

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Thu Jan 24, 2002 01:29

Barry Moore wrote
I know some people that work there so I'll ask if they know who it is.

Thanks Barry,

It was a red Cappo, M registration. It was parked outside a workshop near to a building that I think is called 'CS & S Building' or something similar. Close to where a company called 'Thermal Transfer' recently had their site portakabin offices.

The Cappuccino had non-standard wheels, tyres and exaust.

Regards,

Shaun.

(Don't know if I managed to use this quote function correctly Barry!)
Shaun Hodgson

Tyre Sizes

Postby David Benson » Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:41

Max for the standard rims is a 175 (175/65 I believe from 165/70 as standard)
Don't be tempted by 185/60's even if cheap as the rim will be overtyred, probably give less grip than both the 165 & 175's and taken to its extreme even slightly dangerous!

Dave
David Benson

So, what's the answer?

Postby Dany Gagnon » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:01

Douglas Rogers on
http://www.suzuki-cappuccino.com/phpbb2 ... .php?t=471
was specifying the following:

Tyre size
165x65x14 0% Original equipment tyre
175x60x14 +0.8% Best tyre for fitting on the standard rims
195x45x15 +2.4% Possers perfection!
195x50x15 -1.0% Compromise tyre on the larger rims

Is it possible to use the 195x45x15 and simply change the rim? :idea:

Thanks for your help!

Dany
Dany Gagnon

Postby Peter Shorter » Thu Dec 12, 2002 13:51

I have 195/45R 15 wheels and tyres and i can say they don't fit my car!

One up hard cornering, or two up almost all the time, they rub on the outer edge of the arch.

Dave Benson has the same size and they cause him no problems, so i think something with my car is different. (probably due to rust remedial work on the arches before i got it).

Therefore i say try before you buy.

I am in Essex if you want to try mine one day... (oh and i may sell them as well, 2 months old Toyo T1 tryes etc)

Hope this helps.

Pete
Peter Shorter

Hi Peter

Postby Dany Gagnon » Thu Dec 12, 2002 14:00

That will be great to try. I guess they're like shoes. Will be great also if you have a picture of them. Very interested in buying.
:) Let me know when I can come and see you. my e-mail address is: dany@simcom.co.uk or call me on 07949 052452
I'm free this Saturday. If not it's going to be for next year.

Take care!

Dany
Dany Gagnon

TYRE/WHEEL INFORMATION

Postby Trevor Moyle » Sun Dec 29, 2002 00:23

I HAVE FITTED A SET OF AFTERMARKET WHEELS AND 185/60HR14 TYRES ON MY OWN VEHICLE AND THEY FIT CORRECTLY WITHOUT MAKING CONTACT WITH THE BODYWORK OR SUSPENSION. THE MAIN ISSUE IS THE DIFFERENT OFFSET TO THE STD WHEELS OF 5JX14 WITH A 45mm OFFSET.
THE OFFSET REQUIRED IS 6JX14 WITH A 38mm OFFSET AND THESE WILL FIT ON IN PLACE OF THE STD WHEEL WITH NO MODIFICATIONS.
THE RATIO ON THE 185/60HR14 TYRE IS WITHIN AN ACCEPTABLE PERCENTAGE ie LESS THAN 4% WHICH IS WITHIN ALL THE TYRE MANUFACTURE RECOMMENDATION OF 5%

ONE ISSUE YOU NEED TO BE CAREFUL OF IS THE SECTIONAL WIDTH OF THE 185/60HR14 TYRE AS DIFFERENT MANUFACTURES HAVE DIFFERENT SECTIONAL WIDTHS IE 185 ON A MICHELIN WILL BE DIFFERENT TO A AVON ETC
THIS IS IMPORTANT AS WHEN THE SUSPENSION IS FULLY EXTENDED IE TO FIT THE NEW WHEEL/TYRE COMBONATION THE WIDER TYRE WILL ALMOST CONTACT THE SUSPENSION STRUT.THIS IS UNIMPORTANT AS WHEN THE VEHICLE IS LOWERED DOWN AND THE SUSPENSION RISE'S THE GAP INCREASES AS THE WHEEL BECOMES UPRIGHT
Trevor Moyle

Return to Cappuccino FAQ