Installing a boost controller

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Installing a boost controller

Postby Steve Lewis » Sun Nov 10, 2002 22:50

There are several methods of adjusting boost pressure most involve interfering with the air flow to the wastegate actuator. Below, I describe how I went about fitting a Greddy VVC (Variable Valve Controller) to my Cappuccino.

First, the tools that you will require:

1/4 inch socket drive
    8mm & 10mm 1/4 inch sockets
    Various 1/4 inch extension bars
    1/4 inch universal joint
    Normal pliers
    Long - long nosed pliers
    Stanley knife
We have to access a 3 inch section of tubing which links an output from the turbo to the intake on the actuator - as you will see from the photo below, access is a bit of a problem!

Start by removing the air filter assembly then the intercooler and air intake hoses, both are secured by a couple of jubiley clips. Next, pull off the hose from the dump valve after easing off the spring clip with a pair of pliers and unhook it from the black retaining hook. The alloy turbo outlet is secured by two bolts which are accessible from the side - use a 10mm socket on a longish extension to remove then lift out the turbo outlet. Using long nose pliers ease off the spring clip securing the other end of the dump valve hose and remove. You will now be able to see the tubing you are trying to reach but you won't be able to get to it yet. The pointer (my arial) in the picture shows the tube, the red line shows what is blocking access.

Removing the Turbo inlet housing is the worst part of the job as the two bolts securing it are only accessible from the front through the water pipes and over the top of the aircon compressor. This is where you need the 1/4 inch drive - nothing bigger will fit. Most important is the universal joint which is required to get the socket onto the bolt on the right (looking from the front), the bolt on the left is quite easily accessible with a long extension but getting the socket onto the other is a bit of a pain. Unhook the air hoses, undo the bolts and bring the housing forward and up to remove. Tip - once the bolts are undone leave them in the housing - its all to easy for them to drop into the dark recesses.

You will now be able to see and get to the tubing:

Forget about attempting to remove the tubing in one piece - you won't do it without damaging the hose connectors - take your knife, cut the tube in half, ease off the spring clips and finally pull or slice off the two halves of the tubing to expose the connectors:

Getting the new tubing on can be fiddly depending on the size of your hands - make sure to replace the spring clips to stop air leaks.

Its up to you where you place the valve, in my case the bracket securing the intercooler was a prime candidate - Voila:

Installation - as they say - is a reversal of removal. This job took me 2hrs 15min from start to finish - most of the time was spent working things out - if I had to do it again I would think that I could do it in just over an hour.

:cheers:
Steve.
Steve Lewis

Return to Cappuccino FAQ