Does it have to have a Catalytic Converter Emissions Test?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Does it have to have a Catalytic Converter Emissions Test?

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Jun 26, 2004 08:16

Suzuki never provided the government with emissions figures, so the Cappo does not appear in the MOT testers' book.

##This means that L or M registered Cappos should be tested as non-Cat vehicles.## (You can even take the Cat off if you wish, but I wouldn't) This is because, when Cats first started appearing, they were not compulsory , and the test only applied if the manufacturer published figures (which then appeared in the book).

At N Reg, the government decreed that any new vehicle for which no figures had been provided would have the default figures applied.

##N -or later - registered Cappos therefore have to have the default Cat test applied.##
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Ann Wildman » Tue May 31, 2005 19:38

:( Hi. very interested in this, my Cappy has just failed emissions test through a faulty Cat. The Mot tester wouldnt budge on the figures,standing firm that if it had a Cat fitted then it would be tested to those specs. Tell me he is wrong,quote me some law or something from the Mot testers manual,so I can get him to re think his decision. Suzuki have quoted me £400 plus for a Cat,then £100 each for the exhaust sensor and thermo fuse. My Cappy was registered july 1994/M regd.
Only just fell short of the emissions test by a fraction. Any help would be appreciated,urgently.my mobile is 07708.510.648. You could save me £700. thnx. ANN
Ann Wildman

Postby Murray Betts » Tue May 31, 2005 20:14

Ann
are you absolutely sure the cat is the reason for "failure"?

What were the readings achieved?

I've had MOT test results which are quite frankly ludicrous, and either the machine was not working, there was a leak, it hadn't been zeroed or spanned etc etc.

I simply don't trust MOT grade equipment nor MOT grade operators. Having worked in industry with Horiba emissions analysers costing upwards of £1/4M ( 8O ) a time, you get to appreciate the sensitivity of this type of equipment and the importance of maintenance and calibration.

If it was only a fraction out of limits, I'd suggest doing a few basic maintenance checks, perhaps some new plugs, clean the connectors on the air and coolant thermistors, check the ignition timing (retard can tend to reduce HC at idle, you can always reset it after the test!) and ideally check the idle CO duty cycle as described in the manual (section 6E-59) and getting a test done at another station. That'll only cost a basic MOT, a lot less than £700 and worth a shot.

What sort of place was it you got this test done at?
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Tue May 31, 2005 21:05

Prompted by Ann's appeal, I have done a trawl on the web, and it may be that the original information was wrong, or has been retrospectively changed/reinterpreted.

What I found is at http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/rep_pub/reports/1993/fulltext/343a2.1.pdf and it does not agree with what I was originally told. (See para 4 of last page).
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Andrew Milne » Tue May 31, 2005 21:13

Ian

I too have been searching for this information as I know I have seen the flowchart the testers use somewhere. Of course I can't find it now! I seem to recall it being along the lines of your first post though.
Andrew Milne

Postby Karl Taylor » Tue May 31, 2005 21:14

Good info here:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manuals.htm

"Early catalyst vehicles
The flowcharts and notes must be carefully followed. If a vehicle is fitted with a catalyst it does not necessarily mean a 'CAT' test is
required."

look in the testers manual section 7 Exhaust Emmissions - Spark Ignition
Karl Taylor

Postby Ann Wildman » Tue May 31, 2005 23:41

Thnx everyone for all your help/advice,will do basic checks as mentioned.I ll have another talk with Mot tester,see if he is aware of the anomaly.The faulty Cat was confirmed by a local well respected Emissions company in Doncaster. However,as my Cappy only failed by a slight margin to the Cat specs, it would obviously sail through the Emissions test if the Cat specs werent applied. My husband,who is ex Road Traffic and a police vehicle examiner (now retired) is puzzled as he has given the car a quick check over. Nevertheless, if it comes to the worst; does anyone know any Firm that sells Cats at a more reasonable price than Suzukis.
I am open to any advice/willing to learn-anything to save my hard earned cash(yes I am still working-its my hubbie thats retired).
thnx again-all of you- Ann of Doncaster.
Ann Wildman

Postby Ken Malone » Wed Jun 01, 2005 08:11

Ann

I Used to get the same 'confusion, with my Mini. Once the tester realises he should be ok with it. He's probably just 'watching his back'.
Maybe a print-out of the relevant messages in this topic might help convince him. Good luck with it.
Ken Malone

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:53

Ann Wildman wrote: ...Nevertheless, if it comes to the worst; does anyone know any Firm that sells Cats at a more reasonable price than Suzukis..

Unlike most cars, where the cat is a cylinder in-line with the exhaust pipe, the Cappo cat is an "element" which sits in a bespoke casting. I'm pretty sure it is unique, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of a cheaper source.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Andrew Milne » Sat Jun 04, 2005 15:33

I knew i'd seen it somewhere! Sorry about the size!!!

Andrew Milne

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Jun 04, 2005 17:33

Well done that man :!:

All owners of L&Ms should take a copy to flourish when required :D
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Andrew Milne » Sat Jun 04, 2005 20:41

Took a bit of finding but I knew it was there somewhere. It just goes to show that those 'in the know' quite often aren't!
Andrew Milne

Postby Ann Wildman » Mon Jun 06, 2005 20:00

:) thnx everyone for all your helpful comments,the flowchart will no doubt change the MOT testers mind and test it under the 3.5% spec.Sorry I cant thank u all individually. much appreciated. Ann of Doncaster.
Ann Wildman

Postby Andrew Milne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 20:08

No probs Ann - happy to help! :D
Andrew Milne

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Jun 06, 2005 20:54

Ann Wildman wrote::) thnx everyone for all your helpful comments,the flowchart will no doubt change the MOT testers mind and test it under the 3.5% spec.Sorry I cant thank u all individually. much appreciated. Ann of Doncaster.

Ann,

Do let us know the outcome :D
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to Cappuccino FAQ