Brake Pads

Discuss other 'Zukis and other Kei class cars here

Moderator: Steering Group

Brake Pads

Postby Chris da Silva » Thu Mar 02, 2023 13:35

Does anyone know whether the AZ-1 uses the same brake pads all round as the Cappuccino? :?:
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Brake Pads

Postby Martin Williams » Fri Mar 03, 2023 01:01

They are not the same as for the Cappuccino.

A quick search showed EBC DP528 for rear of the AZ-1 which look like they are also fitted to the Cara and various Mazda, Hyundai, Kia and Nissan so alternatives should be readily available

At the front it looks like the AZ-1 uses EBC DP1301 which are only listed for the AZ-1 and Cara so may be harder to find.

For the Cappo it is the rears that are harder to source with Suzuki charging £400 a set just for the parts!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris da Silva » Fri Mar 03, 2023 08:57

Wow! The prices and availability of these replacement brake pads sure bring tears to your eyes! Who would have thought that those pads are that expensive and hard to come by?

So it looks like I will try to have the old ones relined to save a few quid. (Whew!)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Mar 03, 2023 09:57

Or, if you know the Suzuki Part No, you could try impex-jp. They are often way cheaper than Suzuki, but don't recognise EBC numbers.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:39

Certainly in the UK at the moment there appears to be no stock of any pattern parts for the rear pads on the Cappo but I sourced then easily at a sensible price using impex-jp.
Their price for the Suzuki parts was comparable to the UK dealers though. I'm not sure why Suzuki are charging so much, though it is a new part number and is only used on the Cappo and one rare variant of another Suzuki, but I suspect it is because they can!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed May 17, 2023 15:42

Don't know whether this rings a bell, but I stumbled across 2 Mazda part numbers for the AZ-1's brakes ...

The rear brakes' part number is P1X0-26-43Z and the front ones is 1A61-33-280C. (Actually, they don't look like the AZ-1's part numbers which baffled me ....)

Can anyone shed any light on them?
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Martin Williams » Fri May 19, 2023 14:47

Quick web search found this https://www.nengun.com/oem/mazda/p1x02643z

Digging round the site I found parts catalogues for 3 variants of the AZ1, EC5SA, ECPSA & PG6SA - note including a drum brake option!

https://www.nengun.com/oem/mazda/autozam-ec5sa-114072
https://www.nengun.com/oem/mazda/autozam-ecpsa-249775
https://www.nengun.com/oem/mazda/autozam-pg6sa-116032

The third one has the F6A and at the bottom of https://www.nengun.com/oem/mazda/autozam-pg6sa has various brake pad set numbers listed and it looks like availability and sensible prices for the rear you quote and a front set numbered 1V69-33-28ZA.

Good luck!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris da Silva » Fri May 19, 2023 15:34

Hello Martin

Thank you for the incredible info. You're a real gentleman and a scholar! :-D I'll give Nengun a try this weekend.

I'm quite baffled though - I didn't think the AZ-1 had a brake drum option! I thought it was brake discs all round. Yeh - that got me scratching my head.

FYI, the AZ-1's VIN starts with PG6SA while its Suzuki "brother" - the Cara - VIN starts with PG6SS.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Martin Williams » Fri May 19, 2023 19:02

Sometimes searching part numbers comes up trumps, other times you get lots of irrelevant matches.

I find the drum brake parts diagram a bit odd too. It may well be misinformation. From some of the listings on eBay it is clear someone thinks Cappos have drums at the back which is not true.

I have not used Nengun so I cannot comment on how reliable they are. Hopefully they won't take your money then find there is no stock available. Worth checking with them first I think.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat May 20, 2023 03:20

Yes, you're quite right about checking whether Nengun have any items in stock first. I'll do that first thing on Monday.

Re the brake drums for the rear wheels, just as well we have the relevant info to double check it!

The Cappo has discs all round for both the Series 1 (EA11R) and Series 2 (EA21R); and they were fitted throughout its entire production run. As the AZ-1 was originally a Suzuki-designed car which was sold to Mazda, it would be common sense [for them] to keep its original specs including discs all round [like the Cappo]; especially when the AZ-1 was only made [under the Autozam name] for 2 years (1992-1994) before production was handed back to Suzuki who re-marketed it as the Suzuki Cara with a good 95% of its original specs unaltered! (Only 531 Caras were made until production finally ended in 1995.)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to Kissin' Cousins