Fuel starvation or faulty ignition?

Discuss other 'Zukis and other Kei class cars here

Moderator: Steering Group

Fuel starvation or faulty ignition?

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Jan 15, 2022 15:34

If there's anyone out there who has a Honda Beat, I would like to hear from you regarding an ongoing issue ......

This is a problem with the engine having difficulty to fire up after the car has been on a run in the summer months. At first, I thought that there was a vapour lock in the fuel line which starves the engine of petrol. Seeing that it’s already quite hot in the engine compartment + summer temperatures, that would be quite a plausible explanation! However, this inconvenience does not happen in the winter months as the car starts up OK even after a long run!

But after speaking to another Honda Beat owner [who's not a SCORE member], this is what he told me .....

“…… Sounds like you have a problem with the main relay which is a very common problem of early 90s Hondas. They always start from cold but when left after driving it and the ambient temperature is warm, they don’t start immediately; and it does takes quite a few attempts to turn the engine over/restart it! Luckily all internals of these relays are the same with just the mounting brackets which are different but easily swapped. A Civic or Accord relay will fit the Beat. They are located behind the panel behind the passenger seat, next to the ECU. Many people just re-solder the joints in the relay but I prefer to replace them with new ones.”

As I’m unfamiliar with the electronic layout of the Honda Beat, does anyone know which relay he’s talking about and perhaps a part number? And if the Beat's original part is no longer available, would anyone know the part number of the Civic's- or Accord's equivalent and whether they are still available?
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Fuel starvation or faulty ignition?

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Jan 16, 2022 00:06

Chris, there are many Youtube videos on this issue, so you may be able to get the relay identified from those, e.g. this one.

I also found from an Edge search that it is called a PGM-FI Relay, and here's one on EBay
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Re: Fuel starvation or faulty ignition?

Postby Chris da Silva » Sun Jan 16, 2022 01:43

Thanks for the info, Ian. I'll check it out this afternoon. Cheers. :D

Chris
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to Kissin' Cousins