What's your Favourite Film?

This forum is for long-term games, and was initially seeded with several topics from the Chat forum.

Moderator: Steering Group

Postby Philip Lee » Sun Mar 09, 2003 23:28

I recommend Memento...not a big budget film but an excellent concept. The story is not new, but its the way its been edited that makes it special.

Oh, only watch it when you're awake...you need to concentrate :wink:

Also, The Lord of the Rings...both of them so far...very good adaptation of the book.
Philip Lee

Postby Alex Clouter » Sun May 25, 2003 11:04

Just been to see Antwone Fisher - a powerful drama with some excellent acting, starring Denzel Washington.... another "one of the best" to go and see this year!
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby William McDougall » Wed Jun 04, 2003 15:15

Matrix Reloaded - except for the numb script.
William McDougall
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The Italian Job 2003

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Mon Jun 09, 2003 16:41

I have just seen The Italian Job 2003. Nice remake although it's not as good as the original. Obvious it's an American interpretation. All elements are there - robbery, mini car chase, traffic jam only the setting is Los Angeles this time.

Dutch verdict: nice movie but not great :)

Bring back Michael Caine!!
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Alex Clouter » Tue Jun 17, 2003 17:28

For all those Matrix enthusiasts.... from early July, the Matrix Reloaded is going to be appearing at all IMAX cinemas in the special IMAX format.

Having just seen the film, I echo the views of William but I will definitely be going to the London IMAX to see it again just for the special effects!!
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Alex Clouter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 17:13

What's been the best ever film you've seen at the cinema during 2004?
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Lindsey Gray » Tue Jan 11, 2005 17:18

Shrek 2 :lol:
Lindsey Gray

Postby Ken Malone » Tue Jan 11, 2005 17:52

The Return of the King
Ken Malone

Postby David Regan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 20:05

Has to be Shrek 2 for 2004

One of my favourite films of all time is Beautiful Thing (1995).

Beautiful Thing focuses on three neighbors, Jamie (Glen Berry), Ste (Scott Neal) and Leah (Tameka Empson) on Thamesmead Estate in south-east London. In the middle flat, Jamie lives with his pub manager mum, Sandra (Linda Henry). Jamie is going through a few problems at school, much to the chagrin of his gutsy mother who is too busy trying to hold down a relationship with a dippy younger man, Tony (Ben Daniels). Next door lives Ste, sporty and good looking, with his brother and alcoholic father. The atmosphere is tense at the best of times. On the other side live Leah and her mum. Leah has been kicked out of school and passes her time listening to old records. Leah has become obsessed with the music of the Mamas and the Papas and particularly with Mama Cass.

Life drifts along until one night Ste is beaten up by his brother and is taken into the safety of Sandra's flat. Sleeping embarrassed head-to-toe, Jamie realizes that he is in love with Ste. As the bullying continues, Ste spends more and more time with Jamie. With Jamie, Ste finds a tenderness he has so far missed out on in life. He finds himself drawn more and more to Jamie.

But it is not as straightforward as that. How can you be gay on this tough estate? As Ste and Jamie are sorting things out in their heads, Sandra discovers the truth. She knows she cannot kick Jamie out. Her love for him is too strong, and she decides to try and understand. It is clear now that things will forever be different for Jamie and his mother, but Ste can never tell his family the truth.

The film ends on an optimistic note with Jamie and Ste slow dancing in the sunshine, and Leah and Sandra, usually at each other's throats, reconciling their differences and slow dancing alongside them.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!
:bounce:
David Regan

Postby Alex Clouter » Tue Jan 11, 2005 23:46

I have a more Oriental leaning.... can't help it!

Hero

From the same school of people that made Crouching Tiger, Sleeping Dragon....

And this year, I totally recommend House of Flying Daggers
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ken Malone » Wed Jan 12, 2005 00:22

My favourite films (DVDs and vids ) also have a decided eastern bias

Urga (Russia/Mongolia)
Ju Dou (China)
Raise the Red Lantern (China)
Burnt by the Sun (Russia)
Kagemusha (Japan)
Ran (Japan)
Seven Samurai (Japan)
Fist of Fury (Hong Kong Martial Arts)

Mind you a scan of my shelf also reveals Germinal : La Bette Humaine: The Wicker Man : Blade Runner : Donnie Darko : Gladiator: Quadrophenia : Mean Streets: Once Upon a Time in America: Saving Private Ryan, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and quite a few more.
Ken Malone

Postby Lindsey Gray » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:04

One of my all time fav films would have to be one from years ago called Satisfaction.... had a very young Julia Roberts and Liam Nielson in it. All to do with a band she was in and they enter a battle of the bands type competition. Think Liam owns the bar or something where it's held.

Been trying for years to get it on DVD but it doesn't seem to be out :floods:
Lindsey Gray

Postby Mark Guppy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 19:15

I'd have to agree with Adrian/ Charlotte with PULP FICTION and Bettina with SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION

But AMERICAN BEAUTY has to be considered a classic.

SOMETHING ABOUT MARY, OFFICE SPACE & (I'm ashamed to say) DUMB & DUMBER still make me laugh.

VANILLA SKY & DONNIE DARKO are among my favourite films - I think most people either love them or hate them.

Although I'm not a big ROM COM fan, WHEN HARRY MET SALLY is still quality entertainment.

Going to see WHITE NOISE tonight - I've been told its pretty disturbing.
Mark Guppy

Postby Philip Lee » Wed Jan 12, 2005 23:06

Alex, didn't realise you liked oriental films...:)

Watched Flying daggers too, although the ending was cheesy in parts...oh she's dead...no, no she's not, oh okay, she is dead....no, not yet, mmm maybe now :roll:

Have you seen The Storm Riders? I like that one...
There's quite a few Hark Tsui films worth seeing, A chinese ghost story (1987) is a classic

Phil
Philip Lee

Postby Ken Malone » Wed Jan 12, 2005 23:23

Is A Chinese Ghost Story the one where they kinda hop about??? good film.
Ken Malone

Postby Daisy Hewitt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 00:06

erm can I admit to my fave film being the Wizard of Oz? :oops:
Daisy Hewitt
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ken Malone » Thu Jan 13, 2005 00:41

of course you can Daisy - welcome back - power on again I assume :cheers:
Ken Malone

Postby Philip Lee » Thu Jan 13, 2005 13:43

Ken Malone wrote:Is A Chinese Ghost Story the one where they kinda hop about??? good film.

That's probably Mr Vampire...also a classic
Chinese ghoulies and zombies are often depicted to move around by hopping :?

Chinese ghost story is where a tax collector falls in love with a ghost...

Phil
Philip Lee

Postby Ken Malone » Thu Jan 13, 2005 14:25

Thanks Phillip

I think it was the vampire one.
I just remember one of those wine-soaked friday nights and watching it on C4 at all hours of the morning - and falling about with laughter :cheers: .

PS I don't 'normally' get blatted!! :looney:
Ken Malone

Postby Lindsey Gray » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:39

PS I don't 'normally' get blatted!!

That's your story and sticking to it.... :lol:
Lindsey Gray

PreviousNext

Return to Fun