What's your Favourite Film?

This forum is for long-term games, and was initially seeded with several topics from the Chat forum.

Moderator: Steering Group

What's your Favourite Film?

Postby Barry Moore » Wed Apr 10, 2002 12:59

:) Just curious - anyone want to start us off?
Barry Moore

Postby Bettina Richmond » Wed Apr 10, 2002 13:01

:D SHREK :D
Bettina Richmond

Postby Charlotte Howard » Wed Apr 10, 2002 15:01

It depends on the genre:-

Romance - Roman Holiday

Science Fiction - Bladeruner (Directors)

Thriller/Crime - Pulp Fiction

Animantion - anything by Jan Svankmajer but esp Faust

;)
Charlotte Howard

Postby Barry Moore » Wed Apr 10, 2002 16:35

Charlotte Howard wrote:It depends on the genre:-
and the mood, and the alcohol level, and what sort of day i've had...etc, etc, :P

Charlotte Howard wrote:Romance - Roman Holiday
Well anything with Audrey Hepburn in it has got score highly - I like Roman Holiday and will admit it's better but I've got a soft spot for Breakfast at Tiffanies

Charlotte Howard wrote:Science Fiction - Bladeruner (Directors)
A classic. Love it. What about "Plan 9 from Outer Space" though? Ed Wood at his best/worst?. I also love Fritz Langs Metropolis, and people say Star Wars/Close Encounters were ahead of their time.

Charlotte Howard wrote:Thriller/Crime - Pulp Fiction
Way too many in this genre to decide

Charlotte Howard wrote:Animantion - anything by Jan Svankmajer but esp Faust
Never heard of him but just spent an entertaining 10 mins on imdb.com. Something to look out for I think.

Bettina Richmond wrote:Shrek
Why oh why did Mike Myers try to do a Scottish acent in an animated film :roll:

What about comedy? - "Some like it Hot" gets my vote
Barry Moore

Postby Charlotte Howard » Wed Apr 10, 2002 16:47

What about comedy? - "Some like it Hot" gets my vote

Well, "Nobodies Perfect!", Barry - seriously though, Billy Wilder is a genius, as is that film!

And apparently Mike Myers decided to do a Scottish accent because his parents are from Scotland (he did a similar thing in So I married an Axe Murderer
Charlotte Howard

Postby Barry Moore » Wed Apr 10, 2002 16:53

Charlotte Howard wrote:And apparently Mike Myers decided to do a Scottish accent because his parents are from Scotland (he did a similar thing in So I married an Axe Murderer

I just couldn't see the point in an animated movie of paying an expensive star to do a (bad) fake accent :?
Barry Moore

Postby Charlotte Howard » Wed Apr 10, 2002 16:59

Who's to question the, rather dubious, machinations of Hollywood, that purveyor of fine films and marvellous movies.

;)
Charlotte Howard

Postby Adrian Furniss » Wed Apr 10, 2002 20:34

I just love all those little clips by Marcel :!:
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Postby Adrian Furniss » Wed Apr 10, 2002 20:36

And Terminator.
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Postby Alex Clouter » Thu Apr 11, 2002 00:15

for pure entertainment value:

ICE AGE

:cold:

(big kid as I am! favourite character for me was the little mischievous squirrel!)

for the darker side of things:

THE OTHERS

:spook:

(brilliant acting and stunning looks from our Nicole, excellent scripting and photography)

for the ultimate in action packed special effects:

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

:devil:

(everything I imagined when I read the trilogy in my teens, not so long ago!)

the best sci fi ever:

2001 Space Odyssey

:D

for classic and inspiring acting:

CASABLANCA

8)

favourite car chase sequence:

THE ITALIAN JOB

:grinning:

the most boring

ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN

:sleeping:
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

My choice:

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Thu Apr 11, 2002 07:42

The Italian job - love the minis
Le Mans - what a racing sounds!
Bullit - nice mustang
Bobby Deerfield - touching Al Pacino in a Gtv
You only live twice - poor story but great GT2000
Un homme et une femme - GT 40
The Saint - nice electronic gadgets and volvo coupe
The fast and the furious - bad actors nice japanese cars

and

Gone in 660 seconds - not yet recorded :twisted: But keep watching my website videoclips
Country Representative - Continental Europe
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Dont forget....

Postby George Dunning » Thu Apr 11, 2002 09:45

The Dead Pool with Clint Eastwood, for the totally excellent (if completely imposible) car chase!!!!

8)
George Dunning

Postby Bettina Richmond » Thu Apr 11, 2002 13:21

8O THE SHORESHANK REDEMPTION- JUST AMAZING
and AS GOOD AS IT GETS -Loved it
Bettina Richmond

Postby Barry Moore » Fri Apr 12, 2002 17:03

Tying in with The Never-Ending Story post, what's the name of the film that had the scene with the boy and girl students that had to write a story together like this. The girl started off all fluffy bunnies and roses and the guy took it to outer space with aliens. Then the girl said the monsters couldn't talk about their feelings, so the guy gave them even bigger bombs, etc, etc. I'm sure you get the idea. I can't remember how it ended - they probably fell hopelessy in love, knowing Hollywood :roll: and the name of it is really bugging me :evil:
Barry Moore

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Apr 12, 2002 17:07

Well, it doesn't sound like RED OCTOBER, and that's my favourite.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Jo Atkin » Mon Apr 15, 2002 13:12

You can't beat Arsenic and Old Lace for a great comedy as well as great acting.

But then you also have to love Harvey Jimmy Stewart is brilliant.

Then I can go through each decade picking a movie from each genre but it would take me forever. However a mention has to go to my favourite musical Calamity Jane with Seven Brides for Seven Brothers coming a close second as those dance sequences are ace.

But how about Katherine Hepburn in Philidelphia Story and the romantic tangles when she starred with her long time love Spencer Tracey.

Then the great Judy Garland and of course Wizard of Oz but I liked her in A Star is Born excellent acting.

I could go on.......and I will

For some of the more modern films, yes Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, ET...blah blah blah, but being a romantic I go for:

What Women Want - A classic use of old style romantic cinematographry techniques.

You got mail

Sleepless in Seattle - however A love Affair to Remember is better but the original screen version isn't bad too - which I think was called Love Story or something similar - someone can correct me.

All of the above use that timeless magic that put the great duo's up there from the 30's and 40's not that I couldn't mention some later duo's.

Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal's What's up Doc for example.

But I'll stop there.......
Jo Atkin

Postby Adrian Furniss » Mon Apr 15, 2002 14:37

Nobody has mentioned The Matrix yet. This is my favourite film of recent years. Probably the best crafted "zero to hero" movies of all time. And the special effects are pretty good too :mrgreen:

Pulp Fiction (as already metioned by Charlotte) takes some beating as do Back to the Future I and Christine. Then, in a different mood, there's Alec Guinness in The Lady Killers or James Stewart in The Shop on the Corner.

For something a bit different, does anyone remember Koyaanisqatsi (Life out of balance)? And how about the lavish Japanese epic Kagemusha.

Oh yes, what about all those Peter Greenaways - A Zed and Two Noughts, Drowning by Numbers, The Draughtsman's Contract, The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover :?:

And what about Ingmar Bergman? Exactly. What about Ingmar Bergman :?::!::?::!::?::!::?::!:
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Postby Barry Moore » Mon Apr 15, 2002 14:57

Adrian Furniss wrote:For something a bit different, does anyone remember Koyaanisqatsi (Life out of balance)? And how about the lavish Japanese epic Kagemusha.

Don't know about Koyaanisqatsi (another one to add to the list of films to look out for) but Kagemusha is great as is pretty much anything by Kurosawa.

Adrian Furniss wrote:And what about Ingmar Bergman? Exactly. What about Ingmar Bergman :?::!::?::!::?::!::?::!:

:rolling: I've just seen way too many parodies, skits, and take-offs to take them seriously now.
Barry Moore

Postby Danny Skehan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 16:26

What about the Godfather Trilogy? And Once Upon a Time In America – Oh and Chinatown :roll:
Danny Skehan
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Graham Farley » Mon Apr 15, 2002 17:36

One of the best films must be Robin Hood with Mr Flynn, followed by Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and throw in Mel Brooks 'Young Frankenstein'.
Graham :P
Graham Farley

Next

Return to Fun