What do I need to look out for when buying the Cappuccino?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

What do I need to look out for when buying the Cappuccino?

Postby Alex Clouter » Fri Dec 23, 2005 00:01

Although there is a good feature in the "What the Press says" forum, it would be great to get a string of answers from SCORE members to help wannabee Cappuccino owners... especially as interest tends to start in the Spring as the weather normally gets warmer and the days longer!
Alex Clouter
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Lisa Balsom » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:56

I'll start the ball rolling, rusting rear wheel arches and sills, leaking or damaged/worn roof seals.

Check that the car has been thoroughly protected using waxoyl etc.
Lisa Balsom
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Gemma Viles » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:12

- full service history! All 3 and 6k services present. I would worry more about the history than the mileage!
- Wheels arches and sills for rot, if they're gone there are 4 points underneath the car that have probably gone too.
- Turret tops for rot.
- Check for damage on aluminium body parts as ally is expensive to weld!
- Wheel bearings, the rears need the calipers etc removed to do (lots of labour)
- Rear calipers can seize.
- Electric windows can be slow, motors are approx £125 to replace, a bit of WD40 on the weather strip can help speed them up again but makes a good bargaining point!
- Cam belts are due each 60k
- If the rocker cover gasket has gone you'll be looking at a cam belt change too, more labour costs = more money
- Idle control valve tapping away (ticking under the bonnet) can be costly to replace.
- On cat equipped cars check the idle, when my cat 'died' the car idled just slightly irratically, new cat and it was fine, but the cat wasn't cheap!
- On cars with aftermarket wheels check for rub marks around the arches, sign that the wheels foul the bodywork.
- When driving check for knocks, rattles and hums, a worn wheel bearing will sound like an aeroplane landing!
- Smoke! Blue is oil and black is fuel, white is water. All are bad!
- White/yellow gunk in the oil filler cap means water in the oil, again bad!
that's all I can think of off the top of my head!
Gemma Viles
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to Cappuccino FAQ