How do I fit a working High Level Brake Light?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

How do I fit a working High Level Brake Light?

Postby Barry Moore » Wed Jan 23, 2002 17:55

Haven't seen this question for a while (maybe everyone has done it already :P ) but it used to crop up quite frequently. I know quite a few people have posted solutions or explained their own particular method they used when they replaced their own light. Any chance of doing it again so we can update the FAQ. Has anyone taken any pictures of the procedure :?:
Barry Moore

High level brake light

Postby Christine Maguire » Sun Jun 09, 2002 12:37

As a new member I would like to know the answer to the question posed. I would feel safer if on such a low car I had a warning light on the boot that worked! Any body tell me how to wire it ( or so hom indoors can do it?)
Thankyou :lol: :lol:
Christine Maguire

Postby Adrian Furniss » Sun Jun 09, 2002 13:55

Try this,

http://bytezeiten.de/cappo/, then follow the links:

Technik-Tipps > Dritte Bremsleuchte reaktivieren (English version)

No pictures though.

Adrian

[EDIT: Modified link]
Last edited by Adrian Furniss on Tue Nov 16, 2004 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Jun 09, 2002 20:15

Here are some notes to amplify Sven's instructions:

• The rear window can get in the way. I found it helpful to pull it forward of the hoop, so that the bottom comes clear of the coaming (lubricate it well when the time comes to get it back inside the coaming, and it will go in). While its in the forward position, hold it there with some soft cord, passed round the hoop, under the rear of the window, and forward to (say) the steering wheel. Then release the coaming as described.
  • The lamp unit is secured to the coaming by two upwards-pointing screws. Because you must lift the coaming the minimum amount (to avoid snapping the ends, which are still secured), any old screwdriver won't do the trick. I managed with a removeable bit from a power screwdriver, held in pliers.
  • The engineer who specified the glue which fastens the lamp unit lens to the body did not intend you to open it! The lens material is very brittle, so great care is needed. Loctite release fluid has been suggested for dissolving the glue. I had success with a paint brush cleaning agent, which did not attack the plastic, but, very slowly, dissolved the glue. Try on an inconspicuous corner, and expect to take a long time. Very gentle pressure only.
  • Because the lamp unit you are fitting is an array of diodes, it only works if the voltage is applied in the right direction. I knew this and took great care to get it the right way round - and failed! Maybe my diodes were mismarked! So the moral is, if it doesn't work, swap the connections in the socket ( the diodes will not be harmed by the misconnection, they just won't light).
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Steve Lewis » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:17

I finally got around to installing a high level brake light on the weekend. I thought I'd take some pictures of the process to add to the descriptions given by other members.

Tools required:

Philips screw drivers (stubby and long).
Wire snips/strippers.
2 pairs connecting terminals (if you don't have a male end to fit the original connection).
Wire coat-hanger (straightened).
Long nose pliers.

LED strips can be sourced from several places, I picked up a 28 array LED from ebay for a fiver. They are usually incased so you will have to strip them apart - take care not to snap the LED circuit board.

Ian Linden wrote:The rear window can get in the way. I found it helpful to pull it forward of the hoop, so that the bottom comes clear of the coaming (lubricate it well when the time comes to get it back inside the coaming, and it will go in).

Christine Maguire wrote:Remove 4 screws ( of the six) beneath the comb ( you cannot get at the front two but no matter).

Christine Maguire wrote:GENTLY waggle comb till it comes free and lift max of 3inches to reveal the two screws holding rear reflector/ empty light fitting.....

Christine Maguire wrote:.....remove these with v small stubby posidrive type driver

Ian Linden wrote:The engineer who specified the glue which fastens the lamp unit lens to the body did not intend you to open it! The lens material is very brittle, so great care is needed. Loctite release fluid has been suggested for dissolving the glue. I had success with a paint brush cleaning agent, which did not attack the plastic, but, very slowly, dissolved the glue. Try on an inconspicuous corner, and expect to take a long time. Very gentle pressure only.

Christine Maguire wrote:Open with craft knife( scoring along glue line) CAREFULLY.

I didn't have any solvent so I used Christines method - bewarned you need to take great care and it is a long and laborious process.

Attach the LED strip to the mount - various methods can be used - silicon, glue etc. Silicon takes a long time to set (besides I did not have any) so I used superglue and further reinforced this with strong elastic cord - you do not want the LED coming loose withing the housing :? Supergule the reflector onto the backing.

To get the wires into the boot I pushed a wire coat hanger through the grommet from the bootside into the cabin, attached the LED wire to the end of the coat hanger and pulled it through into the boot. If you do not have the male equivilant for the original connection then cut off the origial connection and replace with bullet or spade connectors - make sure that everything is insulated.

Test that the LED works - voila :P

:cheers:
Steve.
Steve Lewis

High level Brake light

Postby Christine Maguire » Mon Jun 23, 2003 15:45

Perfect. 8) Thats how to do it.
The pic's tell more than a thousand words well done Steve
Christine Maguire

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Mar 10, 2008 16:29

Posted on behalf of Adam Kenney:

I've been working on getting my high level brake light working.
Here it is half finished.
I used the instructions above. Here's a few tips.

1. Don't cable tie the wires together before you fit the light to the car, as the cable ties don't fit through the little hole in the body. Doh! I had to cut all mine off.

2. Don't cut off the existing cable connector for the brake light in the boot.
If you use 2.8mm straight crimps onto the brake light leads, these will push onto the pins of the existing cable connector.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to Cappuccino FAQ