When Wynns doesn't cure the death rattle?

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

When Wynns doesn't cure the death rattle?

Postby Toby Cross » Fri Aug 06, 2004 18:14

Hello, I have tried the advice given on using wynns and sprayed it in the right tube (thanks for the picture) but alas my rattle is still there and slowly getting louder.

I will try the other adjustment mentioned but need a digital multimeter thingy and a clue how to use one!

If I have no luck is it a case of replacing the IAC valve and not drinking for a few months to pay it off?

I have tried to fill with Wynns as well without the engine on but all you get is a face full of the stuff!

Any advice much apreciated Thank you Toby :o

'silver capo lover'
Toby Cross

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Aug 06, 2004 20:48

I have heard it said that there is a point of no return with them, but I wonder whether soaking it overnight with a combustible solvent (say iso-propyl alcohol) might help. If you want to give it a go, the thing to do would be to remove it and pour the fluid into both tubes.

I can't see it doing any harm - if any were to get into the cylinders it would just be burned :wink:
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Fri Aug 06, 2004 21:00

If you're not into electrickery in any way, then get an ANALOGUE meter from somewhere like Maplins for between £5 and 10 (it's probably not much more than you'll spend on Wynns!). For this purpose, a cheap analogue meter will do fine.

The instructions on setting the IAC mark/space duty cycle is fairly well described in section 6E of th eworkshop manual.
Read 6E-24 and then 6E-59 to 61.

Mine was rattling nicely but stopped almost completely when I got the duty cycle down to the right value; don't despair (just yet!).
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to Cappuccino FAQ