Adjustable Steering column / Car Type Code

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Adjustable Steering column / Car Type Code

Postby Nicholas Logothetis » Sun Jul 20, 2003 07:41

Hi all,

My car is not equipped with the adjustable steering column . I own a Limited Edition spec car ( E-EA11R, CHASSIS NO. EA11R - 123436).

Is this standard spec for this model :?:

In light of this, can someone define what each letter and number represent in my above car type code. I did a search and read with great interest the info under the subject "98 model Cappuccino". However, it became confusing by the end of it all. :?

Your time and feedback will greatly be appreciated? :D

Regards
Nick
Nicholas Logothetis
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Marcel Spoelstra » Sun Jul 20, 2003 08:19

Hello Nicolas,
EA11 means that it is one of the first series. EA11s limited were build in 1993 en 1994 in the folowing models

1993 June (EA11R)
Dark blue (1FG) limited edition (#200)

- 1994 March (EA11R)
Dark blue (1FG) limited edition (#1000)

- 1994 October (EA11R)
Saturn black (0DG) limited edition (#1500)

I have got several Japanese brochures but can't translate the technical specifications. But maybe owners of a limited edition can verify the steering wheel question.

Marcel
Marcel Spoelstra
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Jul 20, 2003 09:21

Nicolas,

The reason your limited edition hasn't got the adjustable steering column is that it is fitted with electric power steering. I imagine there is insufficient clearance around the power unit (it's under the dash, not in the engine bay) to allow the column to move much.

Your Chassis Number tells us the following:

It starts without JSAE, so it is a Japanese domestic model (JDM), not an export version - but it has to be anyway, because limited editions were not made for export.

EA11R is fitted with the F6A engine - later Cappos (JDM only) are EA21R and have the K6A engine with lots of differences (e.g. chain driven camshaft.....)

The first numerals are 12 (if they really are - is that the real number?) so the car is Type 2. Type 1 (JDM only) starts 10, and has some differences in aircon, rear suspension, instruments and locks.

I think these chatty type question and answer threads should really start in the General Section - the FAQ is more for reference - in this case, perhaps we should compile an anthology of model differences to post on the FAQ, together with the info we have on the model numbering.

Ian
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Adam Jarvis » Sun Jul 20, 2003 18:28

Hi Guys,

Ive got an import EA11R and I also have no Steering Wheel adjustment, strange. Ive got the cut out on the dash for it but no handle.

Has ne one got one going spare?

Cheers,

Ads
Adam Jarvis

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Jul 20, 2003 19:35

Ads,

The model with electric power steering retains the cut out for the lever (they didn't bother to make a new moulding), but it lacks the mechanism to allow the up/down and in/out movement. Instead, it has a "canister" about 4" diameter and 7" long (from memory) mounted in-line with the steering column, with a cable going into it to supply power. Have a look - you may have one :!:
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to Cappuccino FAQ