Upgrading the front disks and pads.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Upgrading the front disks and pads.

Postby Steve Lewis » Mon Jun 16, 2003 23:55

For anyone considering upgrades to the Turbo or ECU you might also want to consider a front disk and pad upgrade to assist you in stopping the little beast in an emergency :devil:

I recently purchased some Black Diamond combi (drilled & grooved) disks and EBC Greenstuff pads from Motorsport World (recommended) and finally got around to fitting them last weekend.

The pictorial record is below but first here's a list of the tools you will need:

17mm socket (preferably 6 sided)
14mm socked
14mm spanner
Torque wrench
G Clamp (min 100mm)
Impact driver with large philips head
Rubber mallet
Wire brush
Pentrating fluid (WD40 or similar)
Copper grease
Old rags or kitchen roll.

Start with the obvious - jackup the front of the car and remove the wheel(s)!

Tip - Liberal quantities of WD40 on the big bolts (arrowed - see pic below) the day before will assist in undoing them as they can be quite solid - a long levered wrench is helpful

Undo the two smaller bolts and with a little jiggling the calliper will slide away from the disk.

Be careful not to kink the hose - a makeshift brick platform is
ideal. Using the G clamp and a suitable flat bit of steel (14mm spanner is
good) gently force the piston back into the cylinder -- but before you do
that -- do this:

As the piston is forced back into the cylinder so the brake fluid will be forced back into the resevoir - old rags or copious amounts of
kitchen roll should contain any spillage but you should use a syphon rather than allow it to spill over.
The original pads should slide out relatively easily - a gentle tap or two with a rubber mallet and a piece of wood will work them loose if they are tight in the carrier. Detatch the anti-noise shim from the outside pad and retain.
Undo the two big bolts holding on the carrier and remove - take the opportunity to give it a good going over with a wire brush.

The disk can be removed by undoing the two philips screws then gently tapping from behind with a rubber mallet while rotating the disk. Be careful not to strip the heads of the philips screws - if they are tight use an impact driver.

The new disk just slides on in place of the old - don't over
tighten the philips screws when replacing and put a little grease on the
threads to stop them from corroding.

Open the pack of EBC Greenstuff pads:

Bolt the carrier back on. I could not find any reference to the torque setting for these bolts in the manual but they have fairly strong
spring washers attached so once the washer is flat the bolt should be tight
enough - I used about 40Nm.

Slide the new pads into the carrier - this should be easy if you've cleaned it up with the wire brush.

Don't forget to replace the anti-noise shim.

...or the calliper 8O note - torque for the calliper bolt is about 30Nm

.....or the wheel --- Viola :spook:

OK - It's competition time - who can spot the deliberate mistake :oops:
Too late Murrey's already won :biggringift:
Before fitting the disks I checked a couple of cars around my area to see which way the grooves were facing - I also checked a photo posted by a SCORE member (who shall remain nameless :x ) of his fitted Black Diamond disk. Happy that I knew which way the grooves should face I fitted the disks -- then Murrey cast some doubt on my descision :?

Further research was called for so I checked the TarOx website and found the following: http://www.tarox.com/faq4.htm this has a link to a nice little diagram which clearly shows the correct fitting.

Time for a swap :banghead: Since I had done it once the second time around was easy and took just over half-an-hour, note - as the pads are not being changed the calliper does not need to be removed from the carrier - the whole assembly can be removed in one piece by undoing the two carrier bolts, the assembly can then be slid away from the disk complete with the pads.

This is the right way around :P

And finally - once and for all - Voila :spook: :spook:

:cheers:
Steve.
Steve Lewis

Return to Cappuccino FAQ