Warning PAYPAL resolution centre

Feel free to talk about anything non-Cappuccino related

Moderator: Steering Group

Warning PAYPAL resolution centre

Postby Mark Padley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 08:47

I have just been clobbered by PAYPAL direct!

I sent an item abroad using airmail, and at the buyers request the item was not sent international signed for to which I offer in all my auctions and state I do not take responsibility for lost items not sent as such.

The item was apparently not received and went to the resolutions centre. I sent them my proof of postage. Received email saying this is insufficient to track the item and PAYPAL gave them a full refund from my account.

Not a happy man!
Mark Padley
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Sep 21, 2006 09:05

So, am I right in thinking that the only defence is to send everything, national or international, signed-for, rather than just offering it as an option?
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Mark Padley » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:18

That would be one option, however I understand that the international signed for only covers you for delivery into the countries postal system, not to the door! (could be wrong on that one).

The only other is possibly to get people to write a disclaimer in the notes on the PAYPAL payments, saying there is no come back!

This practice would apply to all mail sent anywhere, but only if paid via PAYPAL ie covered by their resolutions centre.
Mark Padley
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Adrian Furniss » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:07

Mark,
Sorry to hear about this. Your buyer may be telling the truth, but I understand this to be a well exercised Ebay/PayPal scam!

There are people out there who have made it their business to learn and exploit the rules on refunds.

They buy things, pay by PayPal, ask for delivery via a non-traceable service, then claim the goods never arrived.

I can only assume that they also use artificial means to nurture lots of Ebay accounts with adequate feedback, in order to avoid detection.

Hopefully Ebay/PayPal employ people to track these guys down.
SCORE Web Site Administrator
SCORE Classifieds
Regional Representative - Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Return to Chit-Chat