How tough are todays engines!

Feel free to talk about anything non-Cappuccino related

Moderator: Steering Group

How tough are todays engines!

Postby Marc Sims » Thu Mar 30, 2006 07:44

My brother sent me this link last night, simply amazing and proof that the Japanese make awesome engines.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/CFC000B5-BDC3-4008-B8B0-8AA19CBCBDF4.htm

Watch how much abuse this Civic engine takes as they fill it with water not oil and bounce it off the rev limiter.
Marc Sims

Postby Dick Winchester » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:26

Kids eh ! No respect for anything.... Hope they didn't borrow that Honda from one of their dads!

I would say most modern engines are pretty tough.. Whereas in the good old days you'd be lucky if an engine made 50,000 miles most will now go well over 100,000 without the need for a major overhaul providing of course you keep it properly maintained. The engineering tolerances have been massively improved due to better production machinery and quality checking etc.

Most engine deaths now are due to stupidity such as never replacing cam belts or not checking levels often enough!!

The downside of modern engines is that there's not a lot your average enthusiast can now play with... It used to be fun taking off cylinder heads, cleaning and setting up carburretors and points etc and annoying your mum by messing up the kitchen table every weekend !
Dick Winchester

Return to Chit-Chat