Toy-time

Feel free to talk about anything non-Cappuccino related

Moderator: Steering Group

Toy-time

Postby Murray Betts » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:10

Ever fancied one of the latest crop of techie-toys?

How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dut6jxCiakg

:lol:
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Dick Winchester » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:38

Wow... that's darn clever... I want one... :lol:
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Sat Feb 18, 2006 13:30

cor imagine Optimus Prime done like that!!!!!

Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Sat Feb 18, 2006 14:22

You still got all your "Transformers" Ken :roll:
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Sat Feb 18, 2006 21:41

I wish I had my sons!!!!! And my original Hornby 3 rail, Dinky's, Corgies, Matchbox and Meccano :( :(
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Sun Feb 19, 2006 00:56

I know how you feel...

My dad slung out all my dinky toys when I went off to university.. He also threw out the Hornby railway set owned jointly by my brother and all my model aircraft bits and pieces including engines!!!

I've still got my son's Meccano set and all his Leggo :lol:
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Sun Feb 19, 2006 01:30

It must be in the Scots genes Dick - my lot did the same... the first time I came back for a visit there were big spaces where my goodies 'used' to be - mostly given away to neighbouring weans I think.. aarrgh!!!!!!!
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Sun Feb 19, 2006 14:48

I've still got a box of Boys Own Papers though..

If you ever need to know how to build a crystal set just let me know :lol:
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Sun Feb 19, 2006 23:15

I made one of those Dick - it was useless!!!! :D

Now they come in kits!
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Sun Feb 19, 2006 23:34

Kits !!! That's terrible - no challenge at all ....

I also used to make radios using old fashioned valves... They were great but used a 90v battery for the valve heaters...

My mother tried to stop me building anymore when I accidentally electrocuted the cat... :lol:

Cat survived OK but it never went near one of my radios again...

Mind you - my mother didn't have a leg to stand on... One day when she drove the car into our garage she forgot to stop and hit my guinea pig's cage and gave it a heart attack :cry:
Dick Winchester

Postby John R Walters » Mon Feb 20, 2006 00:36

And if you told those stories to the Kids these Days they would never believe you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when we use to sleep in a cardboard box! (Ok who remembers Monty Python!)
John R Walters
Message Board Afficionado
Message Board Afficionado

Postby Ken Malone » Mon Feb 20, 2006 00:42

Cardboard box!!! LUXURY

we slept in the gap between the drains and the pavement and were glad of the space.... but tell the youngsters these days & they'll never believe you!
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Mon Feb 20, 2006 02:02

You had drains and pavements???

We country bumkins had none of that..... our carboard boxes were old grain sacks that we laid on in the plough furrows...
Dick Winchester

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Feb 20, 2006 09:57

Dick Winchester wrote:Kits !!! That's terrible - no challenge at all ....

I also used to make radios using old fashioned valves... They were great but used a 90v battery for the valve heaters...

What, you bought the valves...?
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Dick Winchester » Mon Feb 20, 2006 13:06

As against knicking them from somewhere? Errr Yes.... It was a few years ago though..

My brother has my parents' old superhetrodyne radio somewhere. That still works OK although is missing a tuning knob. He's a hi-fi fanatic and swears blind sound quality of valve amplifiers is far superior to that of modern systems...

Personally as long I can receive Radio 4 I couldn't care less :lol:
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Mon Feb 20, 2006 13:29

Dick Winchester wrote:My brother has my parents' old superhetrodyne radio somewhere. That still works OK although is missing a tuning knob. He's a hi-fi fanatic and swears blind sound quality of valve amplifiers is far superior to that of modern systems...

Well as a guitarist I can confirm that valve amps sound better - warmer - more human.

Digital technology is great but has its basic limitations.

Audiophiles usually prefer the warmth of valve equipment.
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Mon Feb 20, 2006 16:26

Hmmm. Man of multiple talents eh. I played guitar at uni for a while because I thought it would impress the girls... Given I was utterly useless at it because I couldn't be bothered to practice I decided wining and dining worked better!

Does this mean you can still get valve amps ?
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Mon Feb 20, 2006 17:26

you sure can - though some are electronically replicated and others are hybrids. There's also quite a flourishing market in original tube amps too - Marshall, Orange, WEM etc etc (some of the young kids think they lend gravitas to their back line :D :D

See here http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--Fender-Electric-Guitar-Amps--m-03_45--brand-94--bd-Fender-Electric-Guitar-Amps.html

Here's mine....

Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Mon Feb 20, 2006 17:33

Well well... You learn something new every day. Fender eh.. There's a name with a pedigree...

You've got me thinking now... Maybe I'll dig out all my old handbooks and build a new valve radio.. That's if I can find my soldering iron of course and someone who still makes new valves!
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Mon Feb 20, 2006 20:44

Dick Winchester wrote:Well well... You learn something new every day. Fender eh.. There's a name with a pedigree...

and this genuine American model is what I play through it....

Ken Malone

Next

Return to Chit-Chat