Suzuki GSXR Smart Car

Feel free to talk about anything non-Cappuccino related

Moderator: Steering Group

Suzuki GSXR Smart Car

Postby Gemma Viles » Sun Jan 15, 2006 20:40

http://media.putfile.com/Smartyoshimura-gsxr-1000-k5

A 1000cc bike engined Smart car.......I REALLY REALLY want the 'Busa (GSXR 1300) conversion for my Cap now!!!
Gemma Viles
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ken Malone » Sun Jan 15, 2006 22:15

woah!!!!! What an engine noise - soooooooperb
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Sun Jan 15, 2006 23:09

Yeessss..... However, I don't think I'd like to hit anything in it nor indeed drive it any sort of real speed round a bend !!

Gemma..... I recently asked Dany what had happened to his Busa conversion project and it seems it's on hold. Is someone else doing or done one that you know of?
Dick Winchester

Postby Ken Malone » Sun Jan 15, 2006 23:17

Dick Winchester wrote: Yeessss..... However, I don't think I'd like to hit anything in it nor indeed drive it any sort of real speed round a bend !!
Too right Dick - terrifying :D but what a way to go >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> so people put those in Cappos?
Ken Malone

Postby Dick Winchester » Mon Jan 16, 2006 00:01

Dany was involved in such a project but I've not heard of another one.

Westfield use the 1300cc Hayabusi version in their cars and another motorbike engine called the Honda Blade something..... ! But, these cars are designed to take the 175bhp or more they can produce... Much stiffer, bleedin great brakes, tougher suspension and so on..

http://www.westfield-sportscars.co.uk/megabusa.htm

In my humble opinion the Cappo is not the car to do this to... I can see that upgrading the existing engine to say 90 or 100bhp would probably work but much beyond that you're really exceeding the capability of the chassis and everything else by a wide margin.
Dick Winchester

Postby Karl Taylor » Mon Jan 16, 2006 00:15

What about a 320bhp mini then!!!

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/index.htm
Karl Taylor

Postby Dick Winchester » Mon Jan 16, 2006 00:26

Different kettle of fish...

Nice stiff monocoque body...... But look at the prices!!!!
Dick Winchester

Postby Ed Swindell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 13:11

Trust me, the cappo chassis seems perfectly happy at 125bhp (at the wheel, not flywheel too). I do have a front strut bar but nothing else fitted by way of strengthening.
Ed Swindell

Postby Ken Malone » Tue Jan 17, 2006 13:12

I'd love a 'go' in your Cappo Ed. :wink:
Ken Malone

Postby Ed Swindell » Tue Jan 17, 2006 13:19

Also has anyone seen the powertec engineering (radical motorsport) tuned 1500 busa - 252bhp, before turbo, 350 after. How about putting one of those in the cappo!
Ed Swindell

Postby Dick Winchester » Tue Jan 17, 2006 13:42

Ed Swindell wrote:Trust me, the cappo chassis seems perfectly happy at 125bhp (at the wheel, not flywheel too). I do have a front strut bar but nothing else fitted by way of strengthening.

What about the brakes, gearbox, clutch, suspension etc? Is your Cappo a UK spec car?
Dick Winchester

Postby Brendan Molony » Tue Jan 17, 2006 18:03

As part of the engine upgrade the original Cappuccino gearbox would go, probably to be replaced by the bike one (6 speed, but no reverse!) or some other custom configuration as used in the bike engined kit cars so that you can have a reverse gear.
Brendan Molony

Postby Ed Swindell » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:45

Dick Winchester wrote:What about the brakes, gearbox, clutch, suspension etc? Is your Cappo a UK spec car?

I've now got grooved disks all round, but other than that the car is standard UK spec - original gearbox, clutch, suspension. Dany did replace 2nd gear for me, as he had to take the box apart to fix an oil leak or something, but that's it. In fact I'm still on the clutch that was on when i bought the car, the one that my local suzuki garage tightened up for me at the first service i had done (~30k miles) and told me was not long for this world. I'm now on 95k miles on the same clutch!
Ed Swindell

Postby Dick Winchester » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:29

Yes.... clutches last a lot longer than the main agents would like you to believe!!! There's one for sale on E-Bay if you feel you need a spare though :lol:

So how many miles had the engine done before you upgraded it?
Dick Winchester

Postby Murray Betts » Wed Jan 18, 2006 19:05

Bike engines have the g/box integral with the engine, and usually the stock internals are used though there are different gear-sets available if wider ratios are required for example. It does mean you have a true sequential box, which needs a little discipline when in a car (can't come to a stop at the lights in 4th or 3rd and just knock it into neutral, you have to go through each ratio to get to neutral between 1st/2nd. If you stop in 4th for example you might not get it to select the gears without moving the car).

The likes of Suzuki's Hyabusa/GSXR range or Honda Fireblade units are very tough and easily cope with light car use.

A reversing box is usually fitted in the driveline, such as a Quaife unit
http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/page82.htm
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ed Swindell » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:28

Dick Winchester wrote:Yes.... clutches last a lot longer than the main agents would like you to believe !!! There's one for sale on E-Bay if you feel you need a spare though :lol:

So how many miles had the engine done before you upgraded it?

If I remember rightly it was about 81k.
Ed Swindell

Postby Dick Winchester » Thu Jan 19, 2006 14:55

So 15k so good :lol:

Presumably though this was a full revamp - bearings and all. Even so it says a lot for the engine in that if it was capable of that level of modification at that age then it must be tougher than we think!
Dick Winchester

Postby Ed Swindell » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:38

To be honest about the only original thing left in the engine bay is the block!
Ed Swindell

Return to Chit-Chat