Oil pan removal

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Oil pan removal

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Thu Jan 31, 2002 21:59

Are any of you clever people able to tell me if it is possible to remove the 'oil pan' from the car without removing the transmission or complete engine from the car??? :roll:

I will have a closer look at the weekend when I get to the car (stored at my mums, not at my flat...)

The workshop manual suggests that the engine can be left in the car and just the transmission removed. Is this to give the extra access required? :?

Anyone actually removed the gearbox alone from the car? It doesn't look too difficult in the manual?!?

If I have to remove the complete engine from the car does anyone have any tips or should I leave it to someone more experienced? :(

Thank you in advance for any help I receive! :)

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Postby Ian Linden » Thu Jan 31, 2002 22:12

Can't answer all your queries, but there's a bit under "getting the damn gearbox back in! -" dated 1/1/02 on the old board - do remove the clutch release arm.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Thu Jan 31, 2002 22:15

That was quick Ian!

Thanks for reply, I remember scanning through this one when I thought it was of little interest!

I'll have a good look now...

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Postby Thomas Waterhouse » Fri Feb 01, 2002 02:39

Yeah that was me :)

Yeah, not too bad removing and reinstalling the gearbox, if you do it how the manual says :D

Some of the top bell housing bolts and start motor bolts are kinda diffcult to get to though. Otherwise it isn't too bad a job. It is a very light gearbox, and I managed to align the clutch afterwards by sight.

Why do you need to do all this?
Thomas Waterhouse

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Fri Feb 01, 2002 13:21

Thanks for advice Thomas.

Need to do this because of a small problem with no.1 piston... It seems to have an inlet valve stuck in the top of it! :( :( :(

Engine is in good condition otherwise and has full service history etc. I am hoping I can replace piston etc without removing engine? Engine has done 50k. No obvious damage to cylinder itself so don't want an overbore like the engine reconditioner has suggested.

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Oil Pan Removal

Postby Robert C Rush » Fri Feb 01, 2002 19:37

Hi, Shaun.
You live in York, where abouts,
might look in this weekend to see how you
are doing.
I live in Poppleton.
Rob R
Robert C Rush

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Fri Feb 01, 2002 19:53

Hi!

Wow, thats suprisingly close! I work in Nether Poppleton.

I wonder if its your Cappuccino that I have seen very occasionally on the A59???

I live in Huntington but car is at mums in Rawcliffe where one of my Cappuccino's is kept! The other is in storage - neither are running at the moment... :cry:

Do you know much about engines? Any help you can give me would be gratefully received...

Regards,

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Postby Shaun Hodgson » Sat Feb 02, 2002 19:10

Ok, it looks like I've answered my own questions!

Yes, you do need to remove the gearbox to get the 'oil pan'/ sump cover off. Suzuki just made the cover slightly too big to slide it out without taking out the gearbox. :evil:

Removing the gearbox is not difficult, it's just bloody awkward!!! :evil:

I now have a badly damaged piston in my grubby little hands. The good news is that the cylinder looks perfect condition to me.

All I have to do now is get the new parts and put it all back together again.... What fun! :roll:

Shaun.
Shaun Hodgson

Return to General