Retractable Aerial

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Retractable Aerial

Postby Robert Austin » Fri Oct 18, 2002 11:30

Following on from the thread in ‘Classifieds’ where Dave Murphy http://www.suzuki-cappuccino.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=644 has had his aerial stolen, has anyone fitted a retractable aerial? How easy was it and are there any particular aerials that suit the Cappo due to space requirements etc?

I now have a Coversystems cover and was thinking of a retractable aerial to make it easier to fit. They will fit an aerial pocket to the cover but I thought that would be more hassle when putting the cover on.

Thanks for any help.

Robert.
Robert Austin

Postby Greg Stewart » Sat Oct 19, 2002 02:21

Do you mean electric or just manual rectractable? Is the original cappo aerial a "solid" piece?, i have seen photos of cappos and the aerials look twice the height of the car.

When i got my cap the aerial was a black retractable but the top was snapped of to about the height of the roof, reception was fine but had to replace it after it got "removed" by vandals. :evil:

I replaced it with a Halfords "Compact Narrow Wing Mount" (quote from the packaging). Extends to 450mm, and fitted directly into the hole in the wing. Looks neat and is not much higher than the roof. :) (Costs about £6).

By the way, Did you hear about the two aerials that got married?

The Reception was Great. :P
Greg Stewart
Regional Representative
Regional Representative

Postby Brendan Molony » Sat Oct 19, 2002 12:01

The standard aerial is a single piece component which screws into the base. A short plastic "blank" is supposed to be screwed into the base in place of the aerial when it is removed to prevent corrosion in the base which leads to a poor quality signal. Bet there are not many people who still have the blanking screw :D
Brendan Molony

Postby Chris S Palmer » Sat Oct 19, 2002 13:18

Brendan Molony wrote:Bet there are not many people who still have the blanking screw :D

Or the tiny spanner :!:

csp
Chris S Palmer

Postby Robert Austin » Sat Oct 19, 2002 14:02

Thanks for the help.

I will probably look at a manual rather than electric aerial purely for simplicity.

To start the poll, I cast one vote for not having the spanner or the arial blank.

Cheers,
Robert.
Robert Austin

Postby Matthew Prescott » Sun Oct 20, 2002 03:03

I'm under the impression that it's not possible to fit an electric retracting aerial to a Cappuccino due to lack of space for the motor assembly, but I'd be interested to hear otherwise from anyone who's actually fitted one.

I have the little aerial spanner, but I don't have the blanking screw - is this the short black stub you see in some of the promotional pictures of Cappuccinos in Suzuki's brochures etc? (apparently Suzuki didn't like the look of the original aerial either)

I'd like to fit a short rubber aerial like you see on the Honda S2000 or some other beesting aerial, but the threads on most aerials are not long enough to screw in, and I believe that many of these kind of aerials have a special powered signal booster in their bases.
Matthew Prescott

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Oct 20, 2002 08:49

Can't remember who, but there is one Cappo in the club with an electric retracting aerial. It isn't in the same position as the factory aerial, tho'. If I remember correctly, its about 12 cm. behind the factory position, which was absolutely invisible.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Steve Lewis » Sun Oct 20, 2002 12:01

I have the original arial but have also got a beesting which I have sprayed red. It looks really cool but the reception is not as good as the original. What is handy is that you can quickly unscrew it and put it in your pocket when going shopping etc.

Matthew Prescott wrote:I'd like to fit a short rubber aerial like you see on the Honda S2000 or some other beesting aerial, but the threads on most aerials are not long enough to screw in...

The original short threaded stud of the beesting is quite easily removed and can be replaced with a longer one available from most hardware stores.

Robert > Good choice of avatar mate - thats C2PPU you have got there :P

:cheers:
Steve.
Steve Lewis

Arial and bits

Postby Anthony Tod » Tue Oct 22, 2002 09:36

Well we have the spanner, but no ariel or bung.

Had to place with some dodgy halfords black ariel thing, and had to thread the arial mount as well, as it was probably gutted by vandals when the stole the original.
Anthony Tod

Return to General