Rear tow points

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Rear tow points

Postby Austin Gillespie » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:41

I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount a loop/rear tow points. Not sure if I'm missing something but can't seem to find a factory location or any suitable mounting location with a good solid frame connection. What's the best way to go about adding a tow points?
Austin Gillespie
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Rear tow points

Postby Ian Linden » Sun Dec 10, 2023 13:05

Sorry, but you won't find a factory tow point as the car is not intended to tow - see page 5-9 of the Owners Manual.

You're supposed to have your butler follow you in the Land Rover :wink:
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Austin Gillespie » Tue Jan 23, 2024 00:09

My bad I meant recovery points! I know I have a front one but not sure about rear and I need it for some tracks I run at if I want to enter into any competitions. Thanks!
Austin Gillespie
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jan 24, 2024 13:35

I would guess you should fashion a bridle with rope and attach the two ends to the rear lower suspension attachment points. Or maybe spread the load by looping round both upper and lower points. See Page 3E-11 of the Service Manual.

But there's a risk the body won't be strong enough for that direction of load. It's really a road car - not meant for rough tracks, etc.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Fri Jan 26, 2024 16:28

Just trying to remember exactly what it looks like, but from what I recall the rear subframe which houses the differential and takes some of the suspension mount points is a fairly substantial bit of construction and I would have thought you ought to be fairly safe in attaching something to a sturdy part of that. Again it needs to be looked at but my guess would be the significant aspect will be to clear the rear bumper/bodywork with whatever towing rope/strap you end up using. Unfortunately I'm away from home at the moment so can't pop into the garage to look under the car.
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to General