Auto Transmission 6k RPM

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Auto Transmission 6k RPM

Postby Austin Gillespie » Tue Sep 26, 2023 22:54

My automatic cappuccino is awesome. Went with auto as LA traffic is sadly no place for a manual and I'm pretty happy with that decision. The one weird thing is that the revs seem to be limited to 6000 rpm and when accelerating it will just hold gear and top out at 6k and you have to let off the throttle for it to want to change. I know the redline/rev limiter is supposed to be near 9k rpm so this is quite odd to me and annoying that I can't use the higher power band. Does anyone know why this is or how to get past it? Or do a manual swap lol? Any help would be much appreciated from the few of you with auto caps or if anyone on the manual side has any insight. Thanks!
Austin Gillespie
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Auto Transmission 6k RPM

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Sep 27, 2023 18:31

I would guess that the Aisin torque converter is unlikely to perform well at over 6000 rpm - it is probably a standard design used in small cars and not a "racing" design. We do not have the performance data for the K6A engine fitted to the auto Cappo, but the F6A develops maximum power at 6,500, and there is not much point in taking it any higher, even if it is redlined at 8500. I suspect the K6A is similar.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to General