MOT Fail

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

MOT Fail

Postby Bill Sutton » Thu Oct 22, 2015 14:59

Hello All.

I have a tragic MOT fail, comprising mainly of rust issues, most of which are minor and accessible, the two really problematic ones are on chassis, either side of the petrol tank. So, this involves dropping the whole rear subframe (after disconnecting the prop shaft, brake pipes etc) a complete nightmare scenario. My question is, how and where should I support the shell? as the jacking point is on the subframe. Has anyone had prior experience ? I really don't want to scrap her, as, apart from rusty rear disks and a broken spring, she is running well and deserves another shot at redemption. Any suggestions please.
Bill Sutton
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: MOT Fail

Postby Bill Sutton » Thu Apr 07, 2016 22:40

OK, It's time to give up now, I cannot remove the starter motor as one bolt is inaccessible without removing the engine and gearbox, and, as the previous owner welded the sub frame on, this ain't gonna happen. To have to scrap a car because of one bolt galls me, but unless someone has a better Idea, I'm breaking it. Anyone need a complete donor vehicle? everything works, apart from the starter motor that is.
Bill Sutton
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to General