New owner - old problem

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

New owner - old problem

Postby Harry Taylor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 23:19

Hi All, my name is Harry and I'm the proud owner of a 1994 Red Cappuccino
Had it about a week and today been able to crawl underneath and inspect the rear end, particularly
Seems it needs a fair bit of welding and maybe a new rear subframe. All the usual areas are rusted through - behind the seats, floor pan, wheel arches, sills etc, mainly all rear end rust
I'm determined to 'save' this one so will need lots of info on suppliers of good spare parts - body panels would be great and maybe a rear subframe
The engine starts and runs well and the rest of the body is OK
I've stripped the inside and all controls, lights etc work OK although I need an indicator/lights stalk. The roof is in good nick, although it leaks a bit!

I've owned classic cars for years and my current 'classic' is a 1994 Morgan which I've owned since 1996
I've just restored a 1985 Morgan which took me a couple of years so used to working on oldies

All help gratefully received
Look forward to enjoying some classic days out when I'm up and running
I live in Leicestershire and I'm happy to travel to pick parts up where necessary
Cheers for now
Harry
Harry Taylor
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: New owner - old problem

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:34

Hi Harry,

I know you posted this in the Test forum, but it is a "serious" post, so I have moved it to General, where more members will notice it. Good to hear that another Cappo is going to be rescued :D

You will obviously need the information in the Parts Catalog, which is reached by clicking "Manuals" above the banner. I think the rear subframe is Item 26 in Fig 50. It is unlikely any Suzuki dealer has it in stock, and they would have to get it from Suzuki GB, assuming it were available. The best dealer for this is Levois of Colchester; they have a web presence at http://www.suzuki-shop.co.uk/. Notice that orders over £99 are post-free (the frame will be well over that!) and they do give us 10% discount, so be sure to ask.

Other than that, the sources are breakers and EBay, on which I have seen quite a few Cappos being dismantled recently. I can recommend http://www.dacarsuzuki.com/ - they only break Suzukis, but Cappos are relatively rare, so you would have to be lucky.

I think the only cure for a leaky roof is new rubbers, but if the problem is slight, it might be improved with Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber Care.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Thu Jan 22, 2015 00:31

Welcome Harry

I'd second Ian's sentiment about another Capp being rescued, they are getting more scarce. According to this site there are 359 licensed and 310 SORN at last count.

I've seen quite a few breakers come up on ebay, though for body parts they are likely to be in a similar state to yours. Hope you get on well with the work, keep us informed.

I'm in your region, next door in Warwickshire. Mine only comes out once all risk of salt etc is gone, maybe I can give it some exercise over to Leics come spring time.
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Murray Betts » Thu Jan 22, 2015 00:50

Just spotted a set of stalks on ebay here
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Kevin Sullivan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 15:26

In Japan the magic tool for finding all things Cappu is this link:

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=ea11r

Many pages of Cappu parts. Though finding a salesperson to gather your parts and deal with shipping them international would be a bother, but perhaps not impossible. Just an idea for the sources to all the fiddly bits you will need.
Kevin Sullivan
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Harry Taylor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 22:08

Hi Murray
Thanks for your reply and today I've found a man who will help me to 'save' my Cappo
It'll cost, I know, but I'm going ahead with the welding etc required
Should be up and running by the Springtime but as you are fairly near to us a spin out in your Cappo and my Morgan sounds like fun in the meantime
I'll keep you and others up to date with progress
Indicator/light switch being picked up next Friday
We're on the way!
Cheers for now
Harry
Harry Taylor
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Return to General