Rear Fog Light Relay

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Rear Fog Light Relay

Postby Collette Dobson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 17:05

We have had problems over the last few weeks with the car battery going flat. Eventually traced this to the relay in the rear fog lamp circuit which is energised whenever the fog lamp switch is on, even with the ignition and the headlights off ! Becuase the lamp itself is not on (it needs the headlight circuit) the indicator on the switch doesn't show. We eventually traced it by putting an ammeter in the battery circuit and removing each fuse in turn and then identifying the relay in the UK addendum to the workshop manual (it isn't on the standard model).

This seems very strange wiring - I would have expected the relay to need the ignition so the fog lamp would only work if the headlights were on and the car running.

Is this a well known feature? Has anyone else been caught out by it?

I wonder if I could wire the relay into the warning buzzer for the lights?

Collette & David
Silver Cappo
Lewes
Collette Dobson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Rear Fog Light Relay

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Aug 05, 2014 17:33

I'm afraid it's an old chestnut.

A cure is suggested in the FAQ http://www.suzuki-cappuccino.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1715

Actually, I have something else which I have not found which slowly drains my battery. My cure is a battery isolator:

http://www.suzuki-cappuccino.com/phpbb3/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=11&image_id=187
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Collette Dobson » Tue Aug 05, 2014 20:13

Thanks for the info Ian - I suspected it would be a 'known feature'.

You mention your battery isolator - I have those on our other older cars but have never been able to find one for the small terminals on the Cappo battery. Can you remember where you got yours?

David
Collette Dobson
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Aug 05, 2014 23:03

SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Adrian Furniss » Thu Aug 07, 2014 21:55

If you are lucky enough to park your car in a garage or close to the house, then another option is to hook up a conditioning battery charger.

Mine is by CTEK. The models have changed since I bought it but is roughly equivalent to the current model MXS 3.8 .

It is more or less permanently connected and has a quick-release plug/socket on the 12V side so I don't need to bother with croc-clips or spanners each time the car is used. The MXS 3.8 and others in the current range appear to have the same system.
SCORE Web Site Administrator
SCORE Classifieds
Regional Representative - Berkshire, Hampshire, Surrey, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands
Adrian Furniss
Web Site Administrator
Web Site Administrator

Postby Murray Betts » Fri Aug 08, 2014 20:27

Aaaah, that takes me back, Collette.

Not long after I bought my car I spent the winter working abroad and was away from home for a month at a time. Upon returning after the first month I checked the Capp in the garage and the battery was totally dead, not a glimmer of anything. I managed to recharge it to some extent, but one cell never really recovered and in the spring I needed a new battery. Yes, it was the fog light relay.

It always seemed a bit of a bonkers arrangement to me, as said it seems sensible for the relay coil to be energised via a lighting circuit rather than a permanent feed, but perhaps it's some strange Japanese regulation, who knows.

Just a useful link, I use Eurocarparts for general car parts, they are usually particularly good on prices for batteries, wipers etc. Their offers/discounts change daily so double check if it doesn't look attractive on the day. No connection, just a customer.
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby John Matheson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 20:39

I think it was an ill-thought adaption for the UK market. Fog lamps were not part of the JDM specification.
John Matheson
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Return to General