Alternator belt size

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Alternator belt size

Postby John Ruckledge » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:07

Hello,

I've just replaced the bearings in the alternator and also bought a new drive belt to replace the existing on reassembly. I got the belt from Autolink and is a Goodyear 10AV0613. According to Goodyear's catalogue it is the correct size for a Cappo but it's slightly bigger than the original. There isn't enough adjustment on the alternator bracket to tension the belt so the old one is back on for now.

Before I source a smaller belt, has anyone else come across this? I reckon a 587 or 600mm belt will be nearer the OE belt that is on the car now.
John Ruckledge
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Alternator belt size

Postby John Ruckledge » Sat Jun 30, 2012 19:49

Update.
I checked with Autolink and they said they have come across this once before. They have sent me a 600mm belt (Mitsuboshi 9.5x600La) and this is the correct size for our car.

For anyone who is thinking of changing the bearings in the alternator the front size is Bore 15mm, Outside dia. 35mm, width 11mm. The smaller rear is Bore 15mm, Outside dia. 32mm, width 11mm. It seems the smaller bearing is not a standard size and I used a 9mm wide instead. Hopefully it will be OK on the basis the rear one doesn't have as much load on it.

The standard bearing refs are front: 6202.2RSH and rear:6002.2RSH. I bought decent quality SKF bearings from Simply Bearings.co.uk. They were £11 .66 including first class post. There was plenty of length left on the brushes so no other parts were needed. The only special tool required was a two leg puller to get the old rear bearing out. :D
John Ruckledge
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Keith Mayers » Sat Jun 30, 2012 20:58

I,v had this problem (bought on e-bay as the correct one -but too big).. The numbers in your posting ?? 9.5 on one - and 10,0 on the other -- then 600mm and on the other 613 --???? Vee belts are cheap,, and maybe some ride higher in the vee --9.5 mm or 10.0mm --- I ended up at Halfrauds and got one that fitted eventually - a bit of trial and error.. I think the angle inside the vee can vary with different makers toooo ??? You get the same situation with the other belt for air-con .... You could extend the adjust slot with drill and file ,,
Keith Mayers
Message Board Afficionado

Postby Keith Mayers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 17:20

Whilst working on my fuse blown problem I took note of the alternator vee belt --it is a Bosch 10 x 600 and works fine.........
Keith Mayers

Postby John Ruckledge » Fri Jul 06, 2012 20:50

Thanks for the info. The 9.5mm belt also seems to be fine and matched the old one in width which, appeared to be the original with the Suzuki part number on it. More the belt length that was the issue.
John Ruckledge
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Return to General