Hello.

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Hello.

Postby Ian Jones » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:46

I'd just like to say hello and introduce myself. I'm Ian, club member number 691 and new to Cappuccino ownership. I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Mazda MX5 (1990 and 200,000+ km) and have always shown an interest in the little Suzuki. When I managed to pick up a low mileage model in good condition locally I snapped it up. I've only owned the car a few weeks and I'm well pleased with it but I haven't had chance to drive it topless yet :o due to it being winter but Im looking forward to a good summer in 2012.
One slight problem I've encountered. The high level (?) brake light isn't working. :( Is this a big job to fix?

All the best.
Ian :D
Ian Jones
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Re: Hello.

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Dec 23, 2011 01:14

Hi Ian,

The light was not implemented in UK Spec Cappos, due to some peculiar thinking at the time by the approval authorities - it is said that they thought a high level brake light ought to be higher :D

The Suzuki factory made special dummy lights, which are empty, but the wiring is present behind the carpet on the rightside of the boot. Quite a few members have converted their dummy unit to working state, and there are instructions and pictures in the FAQ, see http://www.suzuki-cappuccino.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26.

You may also enjoy some other hints and tips in the FAQ.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Ian Jones » Fri Dec 23, 2011 19:10

Thank you for your prompt reply.

So if the light is not implemented in the UK spec Cappos is it an M.O.T. failure if its fitted but not working? I have to agree its not really a 'high level' light. :D

I have just had a look through the FAQ section and have seen the section regarding Catalytic Converters which I'm sure will be useful come MOT time. Already membership to SCORE has paid dividends. :D

Merry Christmas.

Ian
Ian Jones
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Dec 23, 2011 22:34

Ian Jones wrote:So if the light is not implemented in the UK spec Cappos is it an M.O.T. failure if its fitted but not working?

No, it isn't a failing item - it's not even a comment. I guess a non-functional HLBL is a "garnish".
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Murray Betts » Sat Dec 24, 2011 01:31

Hi Ian, welcome.

As Ian says (there must be a joke there somewhere..... :wink: ) at the time the regs on high level brake lights set a minimum height which it didn't meet, so it couldn't be homologated with it. However they were not mandatory so the solution was to make it so it wasn't a HLBL by leaving out the innards. Since it isn't a light (it's just a piece of red plastic) it doesn't have to work for the MOT, but I bet there's been quite a few owners who have had to show the "UK supplement" to the MOT guy to convince them.

I converted mine as soon as I got the car, common sense says it's safer to have it even if it is a couple of inches too near the ground. :roll: It's a relatively straightforward job, just needs patience and a steady nerve to separate the housing halves!

In case you haven't seen it yet, check out the "manuals" section up in the top menu, possibly one of the best resources an owners' site could offer.

Any issues you have, we've probably heard of it or had it ourselves at some time. Here to help!
Murray Betts
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Jones » Sat Dec 24, 2011 15:04

Thank you gentlemen. :D

All the best,
Ian.
Ian Jones
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Return to General