Rear calipers binding

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Re: Rear calipers binding

Postby Tony Dwyer » Thu May 17, 2012 10:02

Murray

Many thanks.

I'll have a good look at the system. A bit of lube and correct adjustment may sort things.

I 'think' the lever is actually stuck, at least that's how it seemed when the MOT mechanic showed it to me. If I back off the cable tension, I should be able to determine whether or not it's actually seized. If so, then a bit of a clean and WD40 will be my friend.
Tony Dwyer

Re: Rear calipers binding

Postby John Ruckledge » Fri May 18, 2012 21:11

I recently replaced the rear discs & pads on our cappo. The nearside handbrake lever was a bit sticky and I disconected the cable by removing the spring clip and pin and then plastered the pivot and spring with WD40 and just worked it back and forth. It soon freed off.

Whoever did the pads previously on our car hadn't located the dowel on the back of the inside pad in one of the piston holes, so the pads had worn on an angle. Probably wouldn't affect whether it would seize the system but its probably worth checking everything out.

Taking Murray's advice I have left the handbrake adjustment quite slack with about 7-8 notches before the brakes come on. I've just been for an MOT today and my local tester didn't mention the long travel on the lever.
John Ruckledge
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Previous

Return to General