Headlamp Protectors

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Headlamp Protectors

Postby Robert C Rush » Sat May 18, 2002 14:30

Due to the cost of headlamp units for the Cappuccino, I was wondering if anyone had fitted headlamp protectors?
If anyone has, were they home made, manufactured for them, or made from ones intended for another car?
Is it worth persuing trying to have some manufactured or altered?
What is the incidence of headlamp breakage?
Suggestions/comments appreciated,
Rob.
Robert C Rush

Postby Matthew Prescott » Mon May 20, 2002 23:31

I don't know about separate plastic headlight protectors, but I have seen clear adhesive film sold in automotive shops that you cut into shape and stick over your headlights. It's supposed to protect against scratches, chips, cracks etc. I would imagine that it would be effective against small stones, but probably not as good against rocks that are capable of cracking headlights. I don't know how thick the film is, which is probably a factor in how well it works.

In terms of the incidence of headlight breakage, I don't know that either, but I've heard that the reason many new cars now have plastic headlights is because the plastic used is more resistant to breakage than glass. I always thought it was just car manufacturers being cheap, and it might have just been sales talk...
Matthew Prescott

Postby George Glew » Sun Jul 07, 2002 21:21

Hi :D

Just reading your posting after reading Autocar (the one with the Cappu write-up). There is something in there about the "Euroencap" tests for car safety apparently plastic headlamps are safer in an accident, particularly with a pedestrian.

(Sorry to sound like an anorak!!!)

:roll:
George Glew

headlamp protection

Postby Chris Tobin » Wed Jul 10, 2002 14:35

Hi

The previous owner of my Cap went and got a kevlar coating put on the headlights from a window tinting company.
he said you should try throwing stones at the headlights and see how strong it is.

But knowing the way I play my golf shots, I just took his word for it so maybee you could make enquiries on this product.

Chris Tobin
Chris Tobin

Return to General