Rear Brake Pads

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Rear Brake Pads

Postby Martin Williams » Sun Sep 11, 2022 15:11

Unfortunately it appears as if parts unique to the Cappuccino are getting very hard to source.

I currently need to get hold of a new set of rear brake pads for mine and seem to be drawing a blank.
Last time I used a "Blueprint" set but no one seems to have any stock now.
Checking for EBC pads their online shop is out of stock. I tried a couple of suppliers who were quoting them as available, but since they carry no stock themselves, they are unable to supply until EBC have more, if that ever happens.

Since the cappo is a daily drive at the moment I am hoping I can find some in stock somewhere soon. I'm not too fussy about a specific make since anything is better than getting to the metal!

Has anyone any bright ideas please?

At least when the MOT spotted a front spring had dropped a coil we could swap over the suspension leg from the one sitting waiting until I retire (at which point it may still stay sitting there!). Eventually a second hand spring came up on eBay so that is ready to be fitted if the time comes!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Rear Brake Pads

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Sep 12, 2022 21:55

SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Mon Sep 26, 2022 23:28

Well, before ordering them from Japan I thought I had better check with Suzuki in the UK. Yes, there is stock in the country but with a new part number (55810-50E12) and price the dealer couldn't believe, over £400.
So, thinking I would get away lightly with abut £70 from Japan, I ordered them on the IMPEX site. They have come back with the alternative set priced at JP¥50,300 (close to £350 excluding delivery and import duty).

Now I'm working through their list of pattern part equivalents, however I am not holding out much hope since those with numbers recognised by amazon.jp all seem to be out of stock there.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:36

They have seven alternative brands listed - are none of them obtainable? I find it hard to believe that Japanese motorists would pay sky-high prices for something so simple.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Tue Sep 27, 2022 21:43

The way IMPEX works I need to order them before they discover if they can still get them, or indeed how much they actually are. With a several day turnaround each time it may take a while.
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Janet Naylor » Sun Oct 02, 2022 08:49

I bought my car at auction earlier this year nad one of the jobs done was a full brake refurbishment. This was done locally to Manchester, by my local garage. I have also discovered that some parts used in the Alto are compatible with the Cappuccino. This might be worth investigating. Alternatively you could contact hijetparts_0 on eBay (his name is Mark Yates). He sells parts and may well have some pads you could use in the meantime?
Janet Naylor
Message Board Newbie
Message Board Newbie

Postby Martin Williams » Mon Oct 03, 2022 08:10

Janet,
Yes, there are a good number of parts for the Cappo that are shared with other Suzuki models but not the rear brakes unfortunately.

The good news is that the first alternative I tried with IMPEX was available (at their advertised price) so they should be being packed and shipped now.

Martin
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Mon Oct 03, 2022 09:19

Yay 8)
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Martin Williams » Wed Oct 12, 2022 00:04

New rear pads arrived today and fitted tonight.

They are the Pitwork pads which appears to be the brand name Nissan use for their parts in Japan.
Altogether including shipping they cost £51.60.
The timeline for gtting them via IMPEX was:
Order genuine Suzuki pads - 21 September (paying listed price excluding shipping)
Advised part number and price changed 26 September so change order to Pitwork pads
Advised pads in stock at Impex so pay balance for shipping 3 October
Initial failed delivery by Fed-Ex (called at wrong house?) 10 October
Delivered 11 October

Order to ready to ship - 7 days
Ship to delivery - 8 days

The box lists two other cars the pads fit, the Alto Works and the Cervo Mode (SR-Four), so the pads are not unique to the Cappuccino after all!
Martin Williams
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Oct 12, 2022 13:45

Glad that IMPEX turned out to be a valuable resource. It looks like Suzuki now has a policy of charging what they think the market will bear, rather than something relative to the cost of manufacture. Somehow I don't think many Japanese owners would pay their prices, but a large number of Cappos have now gone to the USA (most of our new members live in the US), so they may be looking at that market.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Return to General