Roadside emergency flare mounting bracket

Technical queries, discussion and all-round enthusiasm for the Cappuccino.

Moderator: Steering Group

Roadside emergency flare mounting bracket

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Nov 27, 2021 05:05

Does anyone know whether the Cappuccino came equipped with an interior mounting bracket for a JDM-standard roadside emergency flare? If there is, can someone let have the part number for that bracket, please?

(I know my Honda Beat has one such bracket already mounted in the passenger side, just forward of the door; and I purchased- and mounted a flare to it in keeping with JDM specs.)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Re: Roadside emergency flare mounting bracket

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:29

Fig 79 Item No 38 in the Body section of the JDM EA11R Parts Manual.

For UK members: Several JDM Cappos have been imported to the UK with the pyrotechnic in place, which is probably against UK regulations, and anyway they were likely to be well past the safe date, and therefore a hazard. The club's advice is that any such pyrotechnics should be professionally rendered safe, or handed to the police or coastguard for disposal.
SCORE Treasurer & Membership Secretary
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:26

Hello Ian

I've got some good news. The flare I purchased is battery operated as using the old [chemical] type are inherently dangerous for obvious reasons! Logically speaking, it's definitely a safer replacement for the original one which was supplied as new with the car.

Anyway, I bought this first one as a trial to see what it was like; and it fitted the Honda's mounting bracket perfectly! (All things being equal, it should also fit perfectly in the Cappo.)

So do you know the location of the Cappo's mounting bracket? I can then get a second emergency flare for it.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Sat Nov 27, 2021 13:39

It's in the passenger footwell. You should be able to see the mounting provision on the outer wall, somewhere near the left knee, I would guess.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Sat Nov 27, 2021 14:43

Thanks Ian

From your description, it's about in the same position as the one in the Honda Beat. :) I will also look up the item in the Parts Manual and try to purchase one from somewhere.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Dec 01, 2021 08:08

Ian, I need you to check something for me as I'm compiling a list of parts for my Cappo's upcoming service .....

In the Parts Manual for the EA11R, the signal flare holder part number which you told me is slightly blurred! Is it 39715-70810 or 39715-70B10?

The "8" looks like a "B" (and vice versa)!
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:04

Item 38-1 is 39715-70 Bravo 10
Item 38-2 is 76475-70 Golf 00

The second listed is a replacement for the first, so more likely to be available. However, I have looked both up on Amayama, and they both appear to be in stock at USD 1.03 and 1.19 respectively. I guess that is because they are used in many models.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:32

Many thanks for your valuable information re flare mounting bracket. :)

BTW, I got talking to someone here in Perth who has a red EA11R. He said his name is Todd (don't know his other name) and it's the first time we've met at a local car show.

But listening to what he was saying, he told me that he was once a member of SCORE; but he can't log in to the website for some reason. (???) He also said he was originally from Perth; but had to transfer to Sydney for a few years because of his work. But now he's come home [to Perth]; taking his Cappo with him. He also added that he bought the Cappo while he was over there [in Sydney].

Do you know anyone from that description I just mentioned?

And on a different issue, do you still have that JDM-spec flare mounted in your Cappo? :)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Fri Dec 03, 2021 00:15

We have a Todd in Sydney with a red Cappo. You can contact him (if his email is unchanged), by clicking "Members" (link on the right below the Header bar) and searching under T. If he has lost his password, he can set a new one, provided he still has his original email address, otherwise he can email membership@score.org.uk with his new address, etc, and I can update.

My Cappo is a UK spec, so does not have provision for flare - they are not fitted in the UK, and may not be legal.
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Fri Dec 03, 2021 02:00

I think that's the same fella! He showed up at a recent car display with a red Cappo. He told me that he tried to get back into SCORE but he has difficulty doing so! Anyway, I will be seeing him this weekend and will get him to send an email to the club so you can update him. Guess that makes sense!

Moving on ..... My Cappo does not have the mounting bracket which is why I will be getting one fitted. As for the flare itself, I managed to track down a more legal - and safer - alternative. It's battery operated and it's the same size as the magnesium-fired flares issued with the cars sold in Japan. It fits the mounting bracket perfectly as I've found out when I fitted one to the Honda Beat. (The Beat I purchased is a private import from Japan by a car dealer and it came with the flare bracket already fitted - but no flare for obvious reasons.)
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Dec 07, 2021 13:43

Hello Ian

Do you have the address of Amayama, please?

I tried getting the flare mounting bracket (Item #: 39715-70B10) through one of my contacts based in Japan; but to my disappointment, this item is not longer available from Suzuki!

So if Amayama still have a few left on the shelf, maybe I can obtain it from them. (Fingers crossed....)

Thanks if you can help.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Postby Ian Linden » Tue Dec 07, 2021 14:32

https://www.amayama.com/en

A Bing search also gives a place in Sydney (not quite round the corner, I know).
Ian Linden
Steering Group
Steering Group

Postby Chris da Silva » Tue Dec 07, 2021 15:13

OK - thanks. I'll give them a try in the morning. :)

Cheers.
Chris da Silva
Message Board Guru
Message Board Guru

Return to General